What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bottled a Cab Sauv and a Nero d'Avola. Tomorrow will be a day of racking (I hope)

The goal for this weekend is to bring the wines in from cold stabilizing and get racked into fresh carboys. Once that is accomplished I'll move more outdoors to the cellar stairwell. 36 in, 36 back out.

The goal for this weekend is to bring the wines in from cold stabilizing and get racked into fresh carboys. Once that is accomplished I'll move more outdoors to the cellar stairwell. 36 in, 36 back out.

Can you please tell me how long you cold stabilize and what the benefits are thanks in advance.

Can you please tell me how long you cold stabilize and what the benefits are thanks in advance.

It drops out excessive tartaric acid to precipitate out in the form of crystals (wine diamonds). It will help to smooth out an overly acidic wine and prevent the formation of crystals in wine if it is chilled. I generally will place outside in my cellar stairwell that is protected from the elements for anywhere from 2-3 weeks depending on the temperature. My last batch was out for 2 weeks and there was a load of crystals that dropped out. There are several topics about this in the Winemaking from Grapes section right now.

This weekend I racked my Petite Syrah from the Demijohns into the barrel. I had lots of wine diamonds left in the demi's. I didn't do anything intentionaly to cold stabilize but since the demi's are on the bottom shelf close to the concrete floor in my basement I guess it gets cold enough to let them drop out. Temps get down to about 58* F in the basement but I keep the thermometer at eye level so I guess the temps are lower near the floor. :p

This weekend I racked my Petite Syrah from the Demijohns into the barrel. I had lots of wine diamonds left in the demi's. I didn't do anything intentionaly to cold stabilize but since the demi's are on the bottom shelf close to the concrete floor in my basement I guess it gets cold enough to let them drop out. Temps get down to about 58* F in the basement but I keep the thermometer at eye level so I guess the temps are lower near the floor. :p

That's about the temps of my cellar also at eye level. I had a thermometer lower once and there was almost a 10 degree difference at floor level on the concrete. Even in the summer temps don't get much above 68 in the cellar.

I was under the impression that my 8 y/o daughter was off school next Monday for President's day. Found out last night that she does have school as a make up day for when there was a power outage at the High School. Guess I won't be spending the day with her.. Bummer but I'll make good use of the day and will rack and test the 55 gallons of various Muscadine we have aging. Might even start processing the elderberries.

Save some for me to help with. I'm off, but will work nearby in Carnegie that day. Of course after we rack, we will have to drink a few.....

Excpected cold temps this weekend should do wonders for the wine I have cold stabilzing.. May have to check it over the weekend to see what the temps it's hold at are. Going to do another Paper Chromatography test this weekend. I'm hoping to see positive results.

Getting ready to go to IHop with my wife and daughter in celebration of her 8th birthday. After that its off to see Padington at the movies and then dinner with the family.

Bottled the WE LE South African Shiraz Cabernet. This is a WINNER! Not quite 9 months old yet and its great. Warm vanilla, dark fruit, nice tannin and almost no KT. Can't wait to see what it's like at 18 months. Also racked and stabilized the Shiraz Viognier. Off to my son's basketball game in a few.

Bottled the WE LE South African Shiraz Cabernet. This is a WINNER! Not quite 9 months old yet and its great. Warm vanilla, dark fruit, nice tannin and almost no KT. Can't wait to see what it's like at 18 months. Also racked and stabilized the Shiraz Viognier. Off to my son's basketball game in a few.

What's KT Jim ?

Latest posts

Back