What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worked on putting the gym together. It's the last room of the house that was still in chaos

I still have 10 more gallons of Concord, 10 Catawba and 11 Niagra to back sweeten and bottle. Will definately be doing some blending with them
I have 12 gallons Niagara that I have no idea what to do with it. I started it with the notion of blending some of it with a pear wine but the pear turned out to be better without it. I am not real fond of white wines or sweet wines so i am not real excited about the Niagara. I wont be drinking it but how sweet should it be?

Phil, sweeten it up to around 5-6 % sugar. Then try blending it with a few reds, a Zin in particular if you have any. You'll be surprised how interesting it can be. Some people bottle it nearly dry but I personally don't like it.

I got my butt bitten by a "Dragon" last night. Really not feeling like doing much today. I did manage to pitch yeast on my 10 gal quad-berry Dragon before the other "dragon" attacked me.

I suppose if I find the remainder of my butt and it reattaches to the rest of me before bedtime, I'll get up off of it and rack my blueberry/pomegranate. In the mean time, I will continue "window shopping" all over the net for some brewing supplies for the hubby.

Did the dragon survive? :)

I did manage to slay it completely. In fact, we managed to put a decent hole into the whole population of dragons. It did take out a chunk tho. Good fight.

how-to-train-your-dragon-movie.jpg

I should watch this movie, I may learn something.

I have 12 gallons Niagara that I have no idea what to do with it. I started it with the notion of blending some of it with a pear wine but the pear turned out to be better without it. I am not real fond of white wines or sweet wines so i am not real excited about the Niagara. I wont be drinking it but how sweet should it be?

Phil, sweeten it up to around 5-6 % sugar. Then try blending it with a few reds, a Zin in particular if you have any. You'll be surprised how interesting it can be. Some people bottle it nearly dry but I personally don't like it.

Dan,

I think that is too sweet. I like mine approximately 1.010 to 1.015 or 2.5 to 3.8 brix 5-6% woulod be like drinking syrup in my opinion.....

I'm actually quite fond of the Niagra and where we took ours to this year my wife really enjoys it as well. I'll probably back sweeten the Niagra today and another 5 of Concord. My wife had some of that last night and said it was really good as well. Both are right around 1.010 sg. about 2.5 brix

I understand what you're saying Doug. In my case it's what the customer wants. Again, like any wine it's impossible to put an exact number on it until you do some bench trial especially with the high acid content of Niagara in this region. Niagara is a tricky wine anyways if you want a good one. Some people like to harvest it around 21 brix with the high sugar content, I prefer it harvested around 12-14 brix and add sugar to get it up to 21 brix before fermentation (this is only with Niagara).

Jeep Invasion!!!!!!!1

today starts the weekend of Bantam Jeep Festival. Tonight we will be on Main Street socializing with a bunch of jeepers and tomorrow we will be in the jeep playground.

Will be seeing some old jeep friends and making some new ones :db

today starts the weekend of Bantam Jeep Festival. Tonight we will be on Main Street socializing with a bunch of jeepers and tomorrow we will be in the jeep playground.

Will be seeing some old jeep friends and making some new ones :db

If I didnt have plans to paint tomorrow I would consider bringing the bike up...

I blended my Destiny (catawba, concord and fredonia) , the Andrea's Whine (niagra, concord, fredonia) and my concord niagra blend. I had 1/2 gallon of niagra and a gallon of Catawba left so both of those were backsweetened to about 1.010. After dinner I may back sweeten the remaining Fredonia to 1.008, the Concord to 1.010 and the Niagra to 1.008.

Phil, if youre concerned about your Niagra, I have 5 empty cases of clear bottles that they will fit into...lol...

celebrating 27 years of marriage (my wife is the luckiest woman on the face of the earth) with a dinner out and drinking our own semi-sweet Diamond on the back deck.

Went to Lowes and purchased the first round of paint for the house as well as a dehumidifier for the cellar. After all the rain we had it was showing an initial reading of 83%. Last check is 73%. Coming down...also have fans blowing. I set the cutoff humidity to 40%.

Busy day! I mailed in some paperwork for our (*fingers crossed*) house, racked my blueberry/pm to secondary, checked on my SP and Tea Pee, they weren't after 6 weeks after Sparkolloid, so I racked superkleered 'em (BTW 2 cans of SodaStream Lemon/lime when back sweetening SP makes it taste like Sprite, YUMMY!!), made a grocery list and went to the store, received and sent off in my "coupon train," Dinner and dishes, 1 load of laundry, forced my boys to clean their room, and took care of the garbage.

I know that was a major run-on sentence, but that's the speed I've been running today. Fortunately my 1 gal of SP was clear, so I ran it over into a Few half gallons for tonight and a cookout tomorrow. Sipping a little tonight. I think I deserve a drink, even though I still need to attack the living room. But hey, I can sip, and work, and sip and work.

Today is all about WMT competitions! Bottled up some port samples for the port competition. And started 5 gallons of dragon's blood for the DB competition.

Back