What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked the Viognier out of secondary this morning. Then filtered and bottled the Grenache Rose.

Wow, wish I could be that productive. However time & cost get in the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

notice I said they are filled, not finished or bottled.:re

LOL. It's only money. And time....

Anyway, stuck in DC on a nice day working indoors to make sure Uncle Rupert's paper makes it out the door safely. We look forward to bottling a batch of Pee and a semi-sweet Diamond this week.

Back sweetened and bottled my peach wine. Then made a list of monthly wine chores that extends through March 2015. The list does not include the Fall crush and press with my wine club. I will be a busy guy.

Well, here was my yesterday. (For those of you who know about these things, and are wondering why I used Ice and Water Shield :mny over the whole roof, for now let's just say that I have my reasons. :D )

That is the only roof you are replacing and did not want to waste it or you are expecting another ice age and the whole roof will be iced over!

Primed the wood I installed yesterday, scrubbed the last side of the house, washed the dog, washed the bike then went on an 80 mile hour and 45 minute ride. Had a wonderful dinner with family now enjoying a fredonia as an early birthay drink to myself...

Happy early birthday, Doug.

Kinda lazy here today. Did the above racking/bottling, then did my best impression of a three toed sloth for a while after lunch. :sl This afternoon, I cleaned up a bit in the garage and replaced a brake light on my Outback.

Fired up the smoker this afternoon and did up some T-bone steaks from a woodland critter and some pork chips for my wife since she doesn't eat any wild animals that are "cute". It was a test run for the big BBQ we are having in a couple weeks. All signs are pointing to awesomeness

is that your winery?

Ha ha. That is my "garage," although I couldn't tell you the last time an automobile was able to enter it! Mostly it is a workshop/storage area. :slp

That is the only roof you are replacing and did not want to waste it or you are expecting another ice age and the whole roof will be iced over!

Hmmmm, interesting theories. No, I am also doing the main house, whose roof is about 2x the size of this one. I am doing that one also in 100% Ice&Water shield, too. Stay tuned! :i

I am having a helluva time with a merlot blacberry blend. I used concentrated merlot and backberry jam. The ph is waaaaay low and the acid is higher than I think it should be. It is at .75.

I plan on cold stabilizing when my potassium bicarbonate gets here and some ph buffer solution to check acid again.

I racked yesterday and the smell is not good. It seems to me that it is h2s. I put copper scrub pads in it and hopefully that will work.

I am way over my head here. If all this works, I will be very proud.

If not, only $60 down the drain. But damnit - it has been a lots of work.

I washed and sanitized 12 cases of bottles this afternoon after work and racked my 2013 Blueberry in preparation to bottle it tomorrow. It is wonderful! It was aged with a mixture of American and French oak, 45 grams each per carboy. The oak has been in there for 9 months. The wine is completely dry but is not too astringent. actually it is a bit fruity with a great oak influence. I'm very pleased with the results. I ended up with 23 gallons. I will certainly be making this one again!

Bench testing the cinnamon pear wine. Backsweetened to 1.012 leaves tartness and still maintains the pear and hint of cinnamon. I'm thinking it might need a tad bit of acid as I expected it to be a little more crisp.

Today I am working on my dandelion wine, planting squash, and mowing the lawn. It's a great day for it!ImageUploadedByWine Making1401806208.714706.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Julie, would you not cold stabilize?

I not sure if you would get any fallout. I like my whites to be on the crisper side, so I normally shoot for .75% to .80%, and nothing seems to fall out when I have TA at .75%, I do get some at .80%

I not sure if you would get any fallout. I like my whites to be on the crisper side, so I normally shoot for .75% to .80%, and nothing seems to fall out when I have TA at .75%, I do get some at .80%

From what I understand, your acid needs to be above 1and I need to add potassium bicarbonate along with cream of tartar. If I did this, I would have to bring the acid up. so, I guess I will not do it.

http://www.fallbright.com/potassiumbicarbonate.htm

Latest posts

Back