What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So noobie question: at what point in the aging/clearing game should one backsweeten? Assuming it will be bottled after 9-12 months of aging

So noobie question: at what point in the aging/clearing game should one backsweeten? Assuming it will be bottled after 9-12 months of aging

I generally will not back sweeten until it it clear. At that time, if i haven't already stabilized, I'll do so then sweeeten. I have not had a wine cloud up because of back sweetening.

Working all day at the rat race,
Then:
Selling off 2-6 gallon carboys

Going to LHBS,
contemplating buying a 3 gallon carboy (i am trying not to be impulsive), but the more I think I convince myself I dont need it, the more I want the stupid thing!!!!!!
And if I come home without it, I will hate myself!!!!
:ft

(any one want to talk me in or out of it, I am easily swayed for a Friday!)

Last edited:
I generally will not back sweeten until it it clear. At that time, if i haven't already stabilized, I'll do so then sweeeten. I have not had a wine cloud up because of back sweetening.

Sounds like a good benchmark to me. Thanks

Then:

Going to LHBS,
contemplating buying a 3 gallon carboy (i am trying not to be impulsive), but the more I think I convince myself I dont need it, the more I want the stupid thing!!!!!!

I think you're looking in the wrong place if you want someone to talk you out of it. :p

Then:

Going to LHBS,

The only part I would be able to talk you out of is the selling off the 6 gallon carboys. I ain't never heard of such.

The only part I would be able to talk you out of is the selling off the 6 gallon carboys. I ain't never heard of such.

I already have
1-6
2-5's,
5-1's,
2-1/2's
a 5 gallon barrel

It took a while, but I have come to the conclusion that having 3-6 gallons (really 6.5) are just too much volume, for the amount of wine I make.
Not to mention I want to get into the habbit of racking down!
:h

I already have
Not to mention I want to get into the habbit of racking down!
:h

I thought that early on too. I had 3, 5 gallon carboys. I ended up getting rid of one last year and replaced it with another 6gal.

I thought that early on too. I had 3, 5 gallon carboys. I ended up getting rid of one last year and replaced it with another 6gal.

I wish I had that issue, I have been tripping over the empty 6's for some time!

Seriously Elmer - EMPTY 6's?????? Never heard of such a thing....

1 14 gallon demi filled...
24 6 gallons filled
10 5 gallons filled
3 3 gallons filled
2 1 gallons filled.

Time to do some bottling.....

Seriously Elmer - EMPTY 6's?????? Never heard of such a thing....

1 14 gallon demi filled...
24 6 gallons filled
10 5 gallons filled
3 3 gallons filled
2 1 gallons filled.

Time to do some bottling.....

Wow, wish I could be that productive. However time & cost get in the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I am racking my barbera, Amarone and Shiraz/cab today. All three are tasting mighty fine.

Spent the day working on the house. I washed down 3 sides of the house in preparation of painting. I also made wood siding to match my existing siding which cant be bought anywhere. Tomorrow I'll sand and blend the siding, prime that then wash down the back of the house.

I'm verging on the edge of misery! Today we took the photo booth to Paul Sawyier library in Frankfort, KY (our capital) for their summer reading kickoff party. Being that our local, and every other nearby public library event was held indoors, we were not expecting to be outside.

Needless to say, in all my Irish-English fairskindedness, I am burnt to a crisp and donning the color of a cooked lobster.

But hey, the money was good, and now I get to go buy more glass carboys and my Hubby's first beer kit.

Now time to chill for a minute with a cold blackberry dragon blood to help dull the pain.

I'm verging on the edge of misery! Today we took the photo booth to Paul Sawyier library in Frankfort, KY (our capital) for their summer reading kickoff party. Being that our local, and every other nearby public library event was held indoors, we were not expecting to be outside.

Needless to say, in all my Irish-English fairskindedness, I am burnt to a crisp and donning the color of a cooked lobster.

But hey, the money was good, and now I get to go buy more glass carboys and my Hubby's first beer kit.

Now time to chill for a minute with a cold blackberry dragon blood to help dull the pain.

I not thinking you need to drink to help dull the pain, you need to drink to drown the pain!!!!!!

Had the same problem this morning that Elmer had yesterday. Went pick up a part for the washer. The LHBS was just down the road, thought I would stop by just to browse. Walked out with a 5 gal carboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last day of planting today. Can't wait to be done and relax for a day. If all goes well I'll be racking some apple wine that's overdue by a month or two now. Oops.

Well, here was my yesterday. (For those of you who know about these things, and are wondering why I used Ice and Water Shield :mny over the whole roof, for now let's just say that I have my reasons. :D )

garage1.jpg

garage2.jpg

Back