What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well hate to say it but seems my spot to get muscadines might be gone not completely sure yet but someone has done a ton of work on the other grapes either way gonna try to find a place for my buds to pick muscadines still got plenty of time the muscadines are going slow it seems

Keep us posted Eddie, it would be nice to be able to get some more muscadine this year but all is not lost. I still have 10 gallons of Noble sitting in carboys from last year. Still hopeful.

Bottled my EP Amarone today. Finished packing my wine equipment after that was done. Moving day on Friday! I think I,m ready, but even after moving 5 times in 13 years, I still am wondering if everything is ready.

Extremely busy day here. Getting our camper ready for our Labor day trip. Test ride #3 on my new motorcycle. Bicycle chopping for me and the wife. Wine drop off to a friend from NW Ohio visiting family in Dayton and we're not done yet.

Replaced a 9 1/2" section of cast iron pipe with ABS today. While adding in a new washer drain the other day I noticed this section of old cast iron was very clogged and was going to have Roto Rooter come in and clean the pipes but while doing some soldering tight in the corned I noticed the back side of the clogged pipes paint was bubbling so went ahead and poked it and sure enough it was rusted out underneath the paint. Was a little nervous I was getting in over my head but 2 1/2 hours later I had cut through 2 areas of the 6" cast iron with diamond blades. I think I can honestly say Ive done it all now here! Should be moving in next week finally!

Unfortunately I wont be able to relax for quite some time but at least Ill be more in my comfort zone as far as what will be needed. Ive really been pushing into unknown territory lately! For any plunbers out thrre was that lead in the cadt iron joints or solder or what and how would you go about doing one of those joints with thr pipe hanging, is it just like copper where you have to heat it?

We are just 5 days out from the wedding. Things are looking good, lots of clean up work, tree trimming, painting. For some reason SWMBO decided we needed to get new carpet in the house before the wedding so on top of all this yesterday we had to move everything out of all 4 bedrooms and pile it up in the garage, living room and den. Installers come this morning.

Don't fall for the $99 whole house installation at the big box stores. That is just for the installation. You want them to take the old carpet out of the house and haul it away, that cost $0.22 a foot!

You want them to move the furniture, that is extra as well. Luckily we have some good friends that came over and helped us with the heavy stuff and a pick up. We hauled the old carpet and pad to the dump late yesterday.

This afternoon we get to move it all back! So tired this AM I could not sleep. Up at 4AM........

Not much time to do things in the winery this week. Have all the wedding wines bottled and labeled up and ready to go.

The party rental place will deliver all the tables and chairs, umbrellas, wine glasses, flatware, plates, tables, on Friday.

Forecast looks pretty good for Saturday evening, only 20% chance of rain which is about as dry as it gets this time of year.

Grapes are looking fantastic, really look like they will be ready to harvest the day of/after the wedding. Should make for a nice back drop.

Need to get an umbrella policy for the day, not the rain type but the other type in case somebody trips and falls and hurts themselves and decided it was my fault they did.

Off all this week from work just to try and get things ready for the big day.

All for now! :d

Wade, I do a lot of drain/drop tube replacements in mills, they always use 6" cast iron pipe. We use a carbide sawzall blade, cuts like normal steel with bi metal blade, for any connections we use a fernco to go from cast to PVC but I'm not sure if thats how a real plumber would do it, they dont leak unless the pipe frequently moves and works the fernco off.

The cast iron usually comes threaded and you take it back to the nearest joint. But there must be a way to patch a pipe although I'm not a plumber...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Starting my "Fundamentals of Enology" and "Wine Chemistry" classes today. We bottled the Black and Blueberry and Malbec wines this weekend.

This pipe definitely had some type oc lead or solder in the joint. I did use a ferco fubber fitting like you stated.

Harrisburg Community College (HACC). They are virtual classes, but there are two weekends that I have to go to Harrisburg for hands on labs where we will learn to use the lab equipment. I'll end up with a certificate in the end as I already have a degree and didn't need an Associate's. Check it out and get in while you can....

Wade go with the fernco (short piece of hose that slips over both ends with a hose clamp on each end). Simple way to do it.

Unfortunately I wont be able to relax for quite some time but at least Ill be more in my comfort zone as far as what will be needed. Ive really been pushing into unknown territory lately! For any plunbers out thrre was that lead in the cadt iron joints or solder or what and how would you go about doing one of those joints with thr pipe hanging, is it just like copper where you have to heat it?

Yes it's lead, most likely pure lead, (good for lead sinkers and bullets):D

To pour the joint you would use a caulking rope and clamp.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL-oHAKSSec[/ame]

Barring having a soil pipe cutter (hard to use on a rotted pipe), I use a 4" cut off blade on a grinder much faster than the diamond blade, and while in a pinch I've used ferncos, I much prefer full stainless no hub couplings for repairs. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/fernco...oprene-rubber-shielded-coupling-p3000-33.html They offer a bit more support than just a fernco, plus inspectors hate to see ferncos.:tz

All that said, I can't stand cast iron pipe. LOL

Starting my "Fundamentals of Enology" and "Wine Chemistry" classes today. We bottled the Black and Blueberry and Malbec wines this weekend.
One of the winemakers from my area is actually very involved in that course. He also does a lot of consultation for numerous wineries in PA and Ohio.

Starting my "Fundamentals of Enology" and "Wine Chemistry" classes today.

I just looked at some of the classes offered. I would love to take;
Perform sensory evaluation of wine samples for quality control and Perform chemical and microbiological tests. The director of this course is the guy I actually know.

Yes it's lead, most likely pure lead, (good for lead sinkers and bullets):D

To pour the joint you would use a caulking rope and clamp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL-oHAKSSec

Barring having a soil pipe cutter (hard to use on a rotted pipe), I use a 4" cut off blade on a grinder much faster than the diamond blade, and while in a pinch I've used ferncos, I much prefer full stainless no hub couplings for repairs. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/fernco-3-in-no-hub-cast-iron-x-3-in-sch-40-pvc-steel-and-extra-heavy-cast-iron-neoprene-rubber-shielded-coupling-p3000-33.html They offer a bit more support than just a fernco, plus inspectors hate to see ferncos.:tz

All that said, I can't stand cast iron pipe. LOL

Thanks, I used a Fernco as I had no idea what a no hub was but yeah it looks more heavy duty. I kind of needed the fernco anyways as I needed to go right into a 45 degree reducer and the fernco was a reducer itself.

I just looked at some of the classes offered. I would love to take;
Perform sensory evaluation of wine samples for quality control and Perform chemical and microbiological tests. The director of this course is the guy I actually know.

I have spoken with Bob many times and Sam encouraged me to take the courses...

Latest posts

Back