What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Score!

I just "acquired" 10 FREE Pineapples. Thats on top of 9 FREE last Sunday..
A beginning of my next batch of Pineapple Wine !

My granfather made his own kind of wine out of the beetles. He would collect as many as he could, add water and put them in the blender. Then he would sprinkle them back on the plants. He said it seemed to work to keep the rest of them off.

I'm not sure this is a good idea:
From:http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef451.asp

JAPANESE BEETLES IN THE URBAN LANDSCAPE
Physical Removal and Exclusion
Removing beetles by hand may provide adequate protection for small plantings, especially when beetle numbers are low. The presence of beetles on a plant attracts more beetles. Thus, by not allowing beetles to accumulate, plants will be less attractive to other beetles.

I had good luck picking them off my grapevines and raspberries using a small plastic container with a dish detergent solution. Put the container under the beetle and they usually just drop into the soapy water and they are finished.
But this only works for small areas. If you used 20 gallons that's not a small area.
It seems that the JB season is done here. I haven't seen any for a few days.
:b

Just got done spraying 20 gallons of insectide in my gardens. Dang Japanese beetles. I shall win this year!

Dan, have you ever tried Milky Spore? I have been applying it for several years and it seems to be helping. It is not an instantaneous solution but more of a long term one.:gb

Dan, have you ever tried Milky Spore? I have been applying it for several years and it seems to be helping. It is not an instantaneous solution but more of a long term one.:gb

I have used that a few times and also GrubX to control the larvi. according to the artical Larry posted Controling the grubs does not really work because the adults will fly in from a long didtance to eat. I think killing the grubs did help and it also helped my lawn.

The last couple years the beetles stipped my Larch tree and and lots of other things and you know how many gardens I got. This year I barrowed mu buddies 30 gallon sprayer to apply liquid weed killer when I got this idea. Oh Yeah baby, this year its me against the beetles:po (Caddy Shack Pt 2)LOL :):se

Yeah, I still have to spray once and a while I agree that the ones I'm spraying probably came over the fence, but I am spraying less and later in the season.

I've been waging my own war with slugs and snails for the past couple years.:gb

Went for a 90 mile ride on the bike this afternoon. Had to get out of the house despite the humidity. Cleaned about 40 bottles this morning. Have to check stock so I know what I need to collect for fall.

IT"S HOT in NJ !!

picture.php

Finally got that mulberry tree that was shadeing my vineyard all cut up last weekend now this weekend I loaded up all the brush and hauled it away then loaded up the wood itself then I had to go across town and mow our other house now I am relaxing before I go unload my trailer again.

This was a male mulberry it did not produce any berries at all but I do have serveral mulberry tree at hand that do produce berries which I will try and make some wine from also this tree was starting to rot from the inside out so it would have came down sooner or later on its own

Alright then, I let it slide, do you need that tree to pollinate the other?

something that I didn't mention was that on the other side of my property is that I have another mulberry tree that is a male also

SO, you have gay mulberry trees? LOL. So. they produce no fruit? :)

part of Male malberry tree

here is just part of that mulberry that I have been cutting it will give me more then enough wood for smoking my deer sausage this winter

trailer%20load%20002.jpg

its all about the heat this yr for us in east tn --the hottest that i can remember ever .. went from winter str8 to summer.

Going to head out here shortly and pick some elderberries. They are ripe and I want to get to them before the birds do. After that I'll come home, destem, weigh then freeze them.

got 60 pounds of peaches for 20 bucks yesterday!!! thats .33 cent a pound people!!! WHOOOOOOHOOOOOO more peach ale and more peach wine comming up!

Nikki, thats enough for you to smash with your feet in the bathtub. LOL

Just be sure to clean the peaches first.

Sorry about the jeep give away it went to Lil Orpahn Anni!

I'm think we should give Nikki one for the first member to reach the corner 5000 times in the first year as a member! LMAO

:)

2009-Jeep-Lower-Forty-Front-Side-View-588x392.jpg

Im glad you didn't tell her to wash her feet because that is what gives it that speical favor do I have to go to the other corner now also

Youre on your way J. I dare you to try to go to NIKKIS corner, you may lose an eye and a little hair. I heard she has it all set up with a TV, her computer and long stirring spoon for the wine.

Back