what r u making in 2014

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
my list, all ready started a few.

25 gallons of original db, double fruit
10 gallons blackberry bordeaux
6 gallons blackberry port
10 gallons mulberry
10 gallons peach blush
5 gallons fig
5 gallons strawberry
5 gallons pineapple
5 gallons mulberry
6 gallons mango
6 gallons mango/strawberry
6 gallons peach port

This January marks one year of making wine - all have been 23L kits. I made 8 kits in 2013 and have some stock built up. I'm thinking 4 reds and 3 whites should be about steady state for consumption at home and gifting. Two of the reds will likely be "big" kits and one of the whites a "big" kit.

7 of my 2013 kits have been RJS and one MM. Found another LHBS that on their site carry CC, KenRidge and Heron Bay so might give a try to some of the kits from those folks.

Last edited:
My list will vary depending on what I grow, what grows nearby, and what my patients grow and give me.

Temperate:
Apple - a couple weeks ago I received ~25# of Arkansas Black from a patient. They aren't really tart enough I think to make great wine so waiting for inspiration.
Persimmon - 50# of 2013 persimmons frozen, so this should yield 8-10 gal
Blackberry - who knows...new plants went in last spring and the yield year 1 was promising
Elderberry - got 4 gal from neighbor's roadside plants, but added 10 plants of my own last year so maybe more elderberry wine this year
Crabapple
Grape - vineyard down the road allowed me ~100# of Vignoles and Catawba, but they also are starting to produce Chambourcin so here's hoping

Tropical (greenhouse):
Lemongrass-ginger - this has been a huge hit so I imagine minimum 3-6 gallons
Banana - Dwarf Red ripening now but only 1 gal; Dwarf Namwah should fruit again this year
Guava - should have enough for 3 gal
Carambola - 1-2 gal
Hibiscus - 3-6 gal
Citrus - should hopefully get 1 gal each of calamondin, lime, orange
Tutti fruity - a blend of whatever is left in the freezer - sugar apple, June plum, grumichama, sapodilla, pitomba, fig, dragonfruit since I don't grow enough of any of these for a gallon of wine!

My list and I too have a few started already.

Apple in secondary 3 gallons,
blueberry / elderberry in secondary 3 gallons
1 gallon batch of blueberry pomegranate,

As soon as I get another 3 gallon carboy I will start a batch of Dangerdaves DB. Double fruit.

Have the fruit to start another batch of peach. 3 gallon.

Have the fruit to start 3 gallon batch of blackberry

I am pretty sure I will make a wine I call "Long Black Train". It is a recipe I got from Longtrain. Two cans of Alexanders cab juice, 5 jars of smuckers seedless Blackberry jam. It is wonderful in my opinion.

13fd603e-0a39-4f3e-8ae6-c16fa62c0b42_zps5c5486fc.jpg

I am expecting a WE voigner soon. I have never had one.

I would like to try 2 cans of Alexanders Chardonnay or Sauvingnon Blanc with some type concentrate. Maybe some white grape and peach. any suggestions.

my list, all ready started a few.

25 gallons of original db, double fruit
10 gallons blackberry bordeaux
6 gallons blackberry port
10 gallons mulberry
10 gallons peach blush
5 gallons fig
5 gallons strawberry
5 gallons pineapple
5 gallons mulberry
6 gallons mango
6 gallons mango/strawberry
6 gallons peach port

Okay, so that's your January list. What are you making in February?

lol thats all i have access too, that will be fresh...wish there were more.
this year its all fresh, no concentrates,kits,store bought juices....
all fresh fruit....

6 gallons WE limited edition South African Shiraz Cab with grape skins
6 gallons Vino Superiore barbera d'alba frozen must
12 gallons Cab made from Atlas Peak grapes, Stage Coach vineyard
12 gallons TBA

10 gallons of Banana Bochet Port in the early spring
5-10 gallons Blackberry Mead in the fall

... 'bout it, this year.. Lots of other projects to work on

Lots to bottle, some interesting batches aging, some MLF's to rock out, and those new batches to cover, so my Journey in a Journal will keep bumping right on along

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah
Vineco LR Tempranillo Garnacha
WE LR South African Shiraz
Spagnols RQ Monastrell Petit Verdot

Big red with Chilean grapes - haven't decided exactly what, but primarily Cab Sauv
Another red from CA grapes

Peach with my 2013 peach harvest

One more white - Torrontes if I can still get one when I'm ready

Going to try making a mango and blackberry from fruit. Also will make at least 12 gals of peach chardonnay, the kids drink it like lemonade. 18 gals of my house merlot. Thats just for starters. Bakervinyard

With the holidays drawing to a close I can get back fermentation.

Sitting in stock:

WE World Vineyard Australian Chardonnay

RJS Grand Cru Malbec

Vino Italiano Montepulciano which will be tweaked.

I tweaked one last year with raspberry jam that was a popular wine last night at our New Year eve party. The most popular one last night was the World Vineyard Austr. Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre 12L Kit w/ Skins, I had an extra bottle from racking down to smaller carboy.

And patiently waiting delivery this month for WE SLE South African Shiraz Cabernet with Grape Skins.

I plan on getting a barrel and running some big reds through it.

I may try my hand on some juice barrels this year.

Lastly if my Blackberries that I transfer to new location come through -Blackberry wine

I have an absolutely ridiculous amount of plans.

1. WE Pacific Quartet kit

2. a show mead

3. some other kind of mead, and more mead

4. James' peach blush wine

5. Some type of blackberry wine

6. Something with lemongrass, ginger, and coconut milk....maybe some rice

7. At least 12 gallons of Dragon's Blood.

8. Maybe a port. Maybe.

9. A red kit.....still trying to decide which one.

eta:eek:h yes, cooking wine. Tomato wine, shallots or onion wine, and pepper wine.

Last edited:
I haven't figured out whet I will be making. But probably

25 gallons of Chambourcin
6 gallon rioja kit
6 gallon Trinity white (I won a kit at wineclub)
Some amount of blackberry, blueberry, and/or strawberry
Elderberry
Probably some norton
Some vidal
Maybe a zinfandel or some other red.
I'd like to pick up some sangiovese, cabernet sauvignon, and some other red and make an Uber Tuscan style.
I am certain there will be a fair amount of Dragon's Blood and/or derivitave, also.

How did I forget elderberry?
My carboy broke in the middle of my elderberry tweak on my Mezza Luna White kit.
I've used it in a couple of other bottles here and there and I really like the flavor of elderberry. I'll definitely be doing a few gallons this year.
Plus....it's good for you! Can't beat that! (I can argue/justify just about anything)

eta: I've currently got some vanilla beans in Everclear. And 25 more vanilla beans on the way. So .. not wine, but homemade vanilla and homemade Kahlua is also on the agenda. Also, Manthing has been making some noises about making beer....it will be an interesting year, that's for sure.

eta 2: I'm also going to be on the hunt for a sangiovese blend that is a bit sweet, to mimic my current favorite wine.

Last edited:
Mostly a brewer, but I have been given a CC port kit as a present for Christmas which is going at the moment so I am looking to make as many port kits this year as I can. Wife doesn't trust me to make the wine at home so I have to make it at the LHBS. I guess too many failed cider experiments ;(

As I have terrible 'idea' commitment issues, and prefer to play things by ear...so I'm going to tentatively say that I might possibly do some, any or all of the following this year :i

Pumpkin Hazelnut Mead - 1 gal
Rhubarb Vanilla Earl Grey Wine - 1 gal
Traditional Mead - 3 gal
Blackberry Mead? Wine? Port? - TBC
3 big reds (kit) - 15 gal
1 Fresh juice pail to experiment with MLF - 5 gal
Coconut Frascati - 5 gal
Tropical Riesling - 5 gal
Raspberry/Nectarine wine?Mead? - 3 gal
Something Apple - up to 5 gal
Experimental Gluten Free beer - 2-3 x 1 gal
Plus approx 11 x 1 gallon recipes for the Wine of the Month Club