What happened to my cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
I bought some #9 corks and I'm intending to use my double-lever corker to inset them. When I tested one, I got a surprising result. (See the photo.) It appears the corker didn't push the cork in evenly, applying pressure only in the middle.

Here's my questions:

• Is the cork too wide for use with my corker?
  • Is there a problem with the cork?
  • The cork is inserted 36mm. Is this sufficient? Note that virtually none of the cork extends above the bottle. I've never seen information on cork depth.
  • Should I get a floor corker? (Please don't answer this one.)

I heard that double-lever corkers should not be used with #9 corks. Prior to insertion, the corks were 1.75".

Cork.jpg

Last edited:
All the corks I did with the double lever corker had a dimple like that. Some more than others. #9's were a real pain too.

Yes, you need a floor corker. ;)

I have the same problem with my portugese tooth breaker. Just trim the top with a razor/exacto and put a shrink on it.
It will be nice and flush. But the cork will be a little compromised.

Its a common occurrence with a hand corker. Its not a problem but it doesnt look attractive which is 1 reason lots of us use a floor corker not to mention the floor corker is waaaaaaaaaay easier to use!

My floor corker does that unless I soak the corks first, then they slide in with no problem. I have found some bottle necks are smaller than others

My bench corker does it just like that. I have not tried to soak corks. Maybe I will to see if that takes care of the problem.

Floor corker is the way to go. When I used my double lever corker most of the bottles weren't attractive. With the floor corker smooth as silk and flush with the top of the bottle. Bakervinyard

I'm picking up a floor corker in a few days. The issue is obviously the diameter of the piece that touches the cork. Is it a larger diameter in a floor corker?

I'm picking up a floor corker in a few days. The issue is obviously the diameter of the piece that touches the cork. Is it a larger diameter in a floor corker?

I don't think there is much difference in the diameter of the plunger. The difference is that he floor corker has jaws that compress the cork making it easier to push into the bottle; the hand cork simply pushes the cork through a tapered tube and is much more difficult to insert.
I use a Portuguese corker; the plunger on the Italian corker may be larger.

My floor corker does that unless I soak the corks first, then they slide in with no problem. I have found some bottle necks are smaller than others

Once I adjusted my floor corker I have never had my corks do that.:se

No, It is actually a little smaller, but the corker actually squeezes the cork to a smaller diamiter then the bottle. It is much easier especially for #9 corks, which is all I use. I also sanitize my corks prior to insertion.

Last edited:
How do you adjust a floor corker?

There is an adjustment nut on the plunger that stops it from pushing the cork any further then you wish it to go. It is a good idea to put some lock tight on this nut once you have it set where you like it.:pee

There is an adjustment nut on the plunger that stops it from pushing the cork any further then you wish it to go. It is a good idea to put some lock tight on this nut once you have it set where you like it.:pee

That one I got. I thought there might be another.

Since it's a dime, wouldn't that be like 10% of the time? ROFL

But seriously... good tip, and also good tip on the trimming with a blade. I have a few uglies like that also and its always bothered me.

dralarms said:
How do you adjust a floor corker?

On some models there is a threaded height adjustment for the piston.
If you buy a floor corker buy one that's adjustable.

Yea, I got that. Mine is adjusted. Thought the way everyone was talking that you could adjust the sides to make it squeeze the cork just a bit smaller so it wouldn't take so much pressure to get them in. hat would minimize the dimple.

Latest posts

Back