Cork sizes and aging...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
wondering if there are any guidelines for cork sizes and bottle aging timeframes -- ie) how long it should potentially be good for

#8 & #9 is what I'm interested in....

Curious -- because my first couple batches of wine I only had a hand corker and used #8's. I just ordered a floor corker and some #9's.

Cheers!

Last edited:
wondering if there are any guidelines for cork sizes and bottle aging timeframes -- ie) how long it should potentially be good for

Curious -- because my first couple batches of wine I only had a hand corker and used #8's. I just ordered a floor corker and some #9's.

Cheers!
In regular 750 ml bottles, 1-1/2” #8’s will do ok for short term storage, I don’t plan to push them much more than a year or two, though I’ve seen them last a lot longer than that in my cellar.
For your longer lasting endeavors, 1-3/4” #9’s will do the trick, assuming you get good quality corks. A premium grade cork, in a properly stored wine bottle, can last decades.

Cheers!
Good! You just reduced your variables down to 1 - the cork. The floor corker will make life a whole lot easier. Stick to #9 corks, then only the length will have to be determined. #8 generally used with hand corkers and bottles with screw caps ( not advised since glass is thinner in the neck) and very short term storage (<2 yrs))

Last edited:
No. 9 x 1 3/4 in a Portuguese floor corker works great for me with regular corks. No. 9 x 1 1/2" in Nomacorc is what I'm now using. From what I've read, with the synthetics, the length really doesn't make any difference.

Latest posts

Back