What grapes are you growing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm increasing my fence perimeter in order to accommodate next years new vines. I'll be trying out a new variety (for me) called Sheridan. I use different vines intermixed due to the America variety being partially self fertile. This is a recommended practice for this variety. I finished setting all the new corners (pics included), so now all I need now is drive so metal posts in and stretch more fence. Any volunteers?

View attachment 51088 View attachment 51089
I checked and it stated that sheridan is a concord type grape from new york first bred and released in 1921 and that it makes a good red wine and a decent rose type wine.

We planted based on what has been proven to grow/survive/produce in this area and has the ability to be versital, used for single variety wine, blending, ect And for fresh table use...
We have 50 of each.
Marrs
Niagra
Cynthiana
Catawba
Sunbelts

We planted based on what has been proven to grow/survive/produce in this area and has the ability to be versital, used for single variety wine, blending, ect And for fresh table use...
We have 50 of each.
Marrs
Niagra
Cynthiana
Catawba
Sunbelts
And how have they been growing? Cynthiana is also Norton. A great grape really. I have not heard of a couple of the others.

So far so good. Ive played with them innthe past...i like their wine...and it seems to make a good on its own or a blended product....time will tell
I didn't get them to the wire, as ive not gotbthe trellising up yet....but im working on it.

We got some of the pipe posts in.

So far so good. Ive played with them innthe past...i like their wine...and it seems to make a good on its own or a blended product....time will tell
I didn't get them to the wire, as ive not gotbthe trellising up yet....but im working on it.

We got some of the pipe posts in.
What Trellis are you going for? VSP? I Have a VSP system for all of my grapes, Its really nice I installed a drip system for watering all my grapes and its on a timer for 2x a week. I basically just have to prune and check for bugs and spray my grapes, I don't have to worry about watering them.

Im leaning towards something very similar...the High Cordon system..... Or the 2 wire vsp?

Im leaning towards something very similar...the High Cordon system..... Or the 2 wire vsp?
Mine does not have all it's wires installed yet I think if I remember it's a 6 or 7 wire system. High cordon is a good system as well. But I went VSP to encourage the best yields I could while keeping the grapes of a high quality.

Northeast Nebraska
25 Noiret
25 Foch
25 Frontenac
25 Seyval Blanc
All 6 yrs this year
25 Chardonel planted this year
25 Itasca and 25 Petite Pearl ordered to plant next spring.

Northeast Nebraska
25 Noiret
25 Foch
25 Frontenac
25 Seyval Blanc
All 6 yrs this year
25 Chardonel planted this year
25 Itasca and 25 Petite Pearl ordered to plant next spring.
Nice, How are the yields on those 6 year old vines? I have a couple more vines coming next spring. And a few to replace about 4 that just up and didnt end up taking off.

Nice, How are the yields on those 6 year old vines? I have a couple more vines coming next spring. And a few to replace about 4 that just up and didnt end up taking off.
Suffered a little setback on the Seyval and Noiret from winter damage but all told picked just under 700 lbs from the 6 year olds. Did a lot of cluster thinning and the quality was good.

Suffered a little setback on the Seyval and Noiret from winter damage but all told picked just under 700 lbs from the 6 year olds. Did a lot of cluster thinning and the quality was good.
Nice, that sounds really good. I am looking forward to my grapes getting to a harvest point im looking at somewhere between 2-3 tons of grapes once i get my next plantings in. The grapes that are going to start producing first will be about 1.5 tons.

Reds
--------------------------------------------------------
  • Marquette : GDC
  • Frontenac: GDC
  • St Croix: GDC
  • Petite Pearl : TWC
  • Verona : TWC (planted this year. Replaced Foch)

Whites
--------------------------------------------------------
  • Edelwiess : GDC
  • Brianna: GDC
  • Frontenac Blanc: GDC
  • La Crescent : TWC
  • La Crosse : TWC (formerly on VSP)
The why was mostly dictated by finding grapes that are cold hardy in zone 5 and the research I did 5 years ago .... in depth research like purchasing and consuming vast quantities of wine from local wineries.

H

What Zone are you in? I want to investigate new varieties, but don't want to waste my time on Zone 7 and warmer varieties.

50 Syrah - 1103P
50 Barbera-110R
25 Zin- St. George
20 Zin OV Cuttings- Own Root
25 Grenache - 101-14
20 Grenache OV Cuttings- Own Root

Nice list, although generally unless you have Sandy soil own root vinifera is strongly discouraged.

Did your Grenache on 101-14 seem sluggish first year compared to all your other vines?

I noticed my grapes on 101-14 are much slower.

Nice list, although generally unless you have Sandy soil own root vinifera is strongly discouraged.

Did your Grenache on 101-14 seem sluggish first year compared to all your other vines?

I noticed my grapes on 101-14 are much slower.
If I was doing this for a living I wouldn't risk own rooted vines but I'm not. The 101-14 vines are less vigorous which is good in the case of Grenache but take a lot more water in a warm climate like the Sierra Foothills.

If I was doing this for a living I wouldn't risk own rooted vines but I'm not. The 101-14 vines are less vigorous which is good in the case of Grenache but take a lot more water in a warm climate like the Sierra Foothills.
You are not too far from me, but you are in a much warmer area. I put my Alicante Bouschet onto 101-14 for some control as it is well known to overcrop.

What Zone are you in?

I am in zone 5A : -20 to -15 degrees F. I thought about being more aggressive and growing Corot Noir, Vignoles, etc. but decided to go with hardier varieties. So far, I think that was the right choice. 2 of the past 5 years have seen winters that reached below -15.

H

I am in zone 5A : -20 to -15 degrees F. I thought about being more aggressive and growing Corot Noir, Vignoles, etc. but decided to go with hardier varieties. So far, I think that was the right choice. 2 of the past 5 years have seen winters that reached below -15.

H
That is cold

Marquette, Sabrevios, Prairie Star, Brianna, some Lacresent that were accidentally mixed in with the Brianna and Louise Swenson. We live on the 44th parallel in western Wisconsin. I’ve literally seen -35F when driving to ref a hockey game on a Sunday morning. I’ve only lost vines to mice girdling.

Last edited:
Marquette, Sabrevios, Prairie Star, Brianna, some Lacresent that was accidentally mixed in with the Briana and Louise Swenson. We live on the 44th parallel in western Wisconsin. I’ve literally seen -35F when driving to ref a hockey game on a Sunday morning. I’ve only lost vines to mice girdling.

Definitely vines to consider as I expand my 'empire'. I'm in 6A, not as cold, but cold enough to take vines out. I've wasted time in past years trying to grow stuff that just wouldn't winter well. It more than just surviving the winter, they must survive it well enough to bear, not just spend the summer recovering from winter. Thanks for sharing.

Back