What grapes are you growing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CK55

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what grapes are you growing, and why. And how many do you have??

I have Barbera, Alicante Bouschet, Merlot,Cabernet Franc and Criolla Mediana 123 total vines not including criolla which I have about 63 vines now. I've been slowly planting more of it.

Can't wait for the vines to mature I will get a bunch or criolla this year from 40 year old vines. I expect it to make a decent light red wine from the little information avaliable. As it's not a very well documented grape with very low plantings in California. I will be the only person making a wine that's 100% Criolla Mediana in the State.

I can't wait for the Merlot and Cab to mature I intend to go ahead and do a blend of around 70% Cab and 30% Merlot when they mature. The Alicante and Barbera will be single varietal wines. Although I might adjust color with some of the Alicante.

Also I figure I'll also ask what other grapes would grow well in Sandy soil, I have a climate nearly identical where I live to the Rhone region. I've been thinking about adding some white wines. I should also add that my property is on hilltop that gets lots of sun and a good breeze.

:)

Are you aware that in much of the US we can't grow any of the varieties that you mentioned? In the North we tend to grow "Northern Hybrids" of which there are quite a few., Both whites and reds.. These grapes and the production btechniques and challenges widely vary by geography. But the new varieties have made commercial wine production possible in States such as the Dakota's, Nebraska, Colorado, Minnesota, Iowa, and Illinois.

Reds
--------------------------------------------------------
  • Marquette : GDC
  • Frontenac: GDC
  • St Croix: GDC
  • Petite Pearl : TWC
  • Verona : TWC (planted this year. Replaced Foch)

Whites
--------------------------------------------------------
  • Edelwiess : GDC
  • Brianna: GDC
  • Frontenac Blanc: GDC
  • La Crescent : TWC
  • La Crosse : TWC (formerly on VSP)
The why was mostly dictated by finding grapes that are cold hardy in zone 5 and the research I did 5 years ago .... in depth research like purchasing and consuming vast quantities of wine from local wineries.

H

I'm in California where pretty much any grape will grow. Thus I grow a large variety of stuff. I'm adding Grenache and Gamay.

True. And good point.

But the Internet/Interwebs is/are global. And most of the global wine growing regions grow Vinifera. So I assume global comments are also welcomed. :)

Anyone can post, I grow a lot of European varietals because they make the best wine. Cabernet franc was mostly a pick of mine due to it preferring sand based soils and being easier to work with compared to cabernet sav. Alicante Bouschet has a long history in california.

Im thinking, that at least from a hobbiest perspective: that considering the disease problems you guys have with vinifera, that with the built in disease resistance, that some of you California people ought to do some experimentation with Petite Pearl and Verona. At least six of each. Or a dozen. Do some experimenting both with disease resistance and taste comparison.

I'm in the Niagara wine region, and just have some vines in our backyard.
I have about 30 Muscat vines, and 10 Riesling vines.
I also have a couple table grape vines, that I don't know the variety off (this will be first year of fruit for them).

I’m located in Western Pennsylvania. This is my first year trying to grow grapes. It’s just a hobby for now. I have 6 Niagara and 6 Frontenac in the ground. Maybe in a few years after I figure out the whole process in our climate I’ll get more serious.

I do have around 150 cuttings that are mostly all rooted now and in nursery pots for next year. How many of those I plant and how many I sell/give-away will depend on how much land I can prepare over the winter. I have a couple acres of prime south facing hillside to work with, but a lot of it is brush and 2nd/3rd growth woods. It’ll be a job and a half clearing even a half acre. I’m in no rush and just happy to learn the challenge of something new. I was getting bored with my traditional vegetable garden.

Im thinking, that at least from a hobbiest perspective: that considering the disease problems you guys have with vinifera, that with the built in disease resistance, that some of you California people ought to do some experimentation with Petite Pearl and Verona. At least six of each. Or a dozen. Do some experimenting both with disease resistance and taste comparison.
Yeah, I picked grapes with few diseases that they can get. All of mine are on 1103 and 101-14 rootstocks which have high resistance to phylloxera even though my vines couldn't get it even if not immune because of my Sandy soil which is why my criolla is 40 years old.

I'm in the Niagara wine region, and just have some vines in our backyard.
I have about 30 Muscat vines, and 10 Riesling vines.
I also have a couple table grape vines, that I don't know the variety off (this will be first year of fruit for them).
Muscat is a good grape, the parent of criolla is Muscat Of Alexandria which is native to Egypt and known as the oldest known grape in the world that hadn't gone through any mutations. Which is white Muscat.

All Muscat grapes have a intense grapey flavor.

Reds: Frontenac & Petite Pearl.

Whites: Vidal Blanc and Itasca. Frontenac Gris.

I'm trying my hand with Riesling, but winter is unkind to them. The Vidal struggles up here as well. The majority of my plantings are the Itasca and Petite Pearl.

Muscat is a good grape, the parent of criolla is Muscat Of Alexandria which is native to Egypt and known as the oldest known grape in the world that hadn't gone through any mutations. Which is white Muscat.

All Muscat grapes have a intense grapey flavor.

Yep, we love the aroma these have, which is why I've propagated from 15 to 30 :)

Just found 2 himrod table grape plants for $0.67 each on clearance at a local store, now I need to find somewhere to put them.

Yep, we love the aroma these have, which is why I've propagated from 15 to 30 :)

Just found 2 himrod table grape plants for $0.67 each on clearance at a local store, now I need to find somewhere to put them.
Nice, :) I planted my Barbera because I have a lot of family still in Italy and here in the states, Funny thing is according to 2 dna tests, ive got 0% of the italian yet my grandmother on my moms side was 70%. Kinda got a big laugh out of it. But I planted it mostly because a lot of my family members like Barbera wine and it is way less common in the states, Really I wanted to give it a go. The unfortunate aspect is where I live can get really hot on rare occasion and my Barbera vines got damaged by 105 degree heat followed by 2 high 90F days. All my other vines were fine.

My Merlot is probably growing the fastest, I planted my merlot earlier this year and they are already about 6-8 inches above the grow tubes. Im frankly amazed at how fast they grew. At least compared to the others which were all planted at the same time. The alicante hasnt even grown out enough to reach the top of the tube.

Grape vines created for one climate almost universally don't produce ideal wines in another climate. It took a few centuries for the concept of Terroir to develop, as to what grape vine varieties work best in what areas (climate, soil, etc).

I guess if a hobbyist wants to spend a decade or more (about the time it takes for the vines to really create a "proper" wine) trying out a cold temperature variety in a warm, dry climate they certainly can do so. But the results will most likely be disappointing (but, hey, I like a challenge myself, might consider it if weren't that I am a bit too old now to spend that amount of time myself -- I planted an experimental variety 8 years ago but I think I am now done experimenting). And disease resistance is not really huge issue in CA. The major disease there is powdery mildew, which is rather easily controlled.

By the way, what grapes are your growing? Which is of course the original topic (not a discussion on what to grow where). You are the only one here who has not said yet. :h

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back