First wine from new vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriba

Junior
Reaction score
I planted 25 merlot vines three years ago and I have my first crop. Very small, only a handful of vines made grapes, and grapes that did mature were heavily predated by birds. Anyway, I have about 10 pounds of merlot averaging around 20 brix. I also have several small harvests of Riesling from an old vine that came with the house. All in all, about 100 pounds of grapes. I plan to ferment all of them on skins for lack of a better plan or harvest. Hopefully a better Merlot harvest next year and more bird netting. Alternatively I could freeze the grapes to add to next years harvest. Any thoughts?

Dan

I planted 25 merlot vines three years ago and I have my first crop. Very small, only a handful of vines made grapes, and grapes that did mature were heavily predated by birds. Anyway, I have about 10 pounds of merlot averaging around 20 brix. I also have several small harvests of Riesling from an old vine that came with the house. All in all, about 100 pounds of grapes. I plan to ferment all of them on skins for lack of a better plan or harvest. Hopefully a better Merlot harvest next year and more bird netting. Alternatively I could freeze the grapes to add to next years harvest. Any thoughts?

Dan
I would make wine now… but then I’m very impatient!

Heck yeah. Ferment away. Here is your chance to gain a whole ton of experience you can get no other way. If you ferment your gallon or so of juice now, next year will be that much easier. You might even make a wine you like and can drink. It won't be much, but it won't take up much room either. So ferment on your kitchen counter, and see what shakes out.

Update.

I made this wine with a mix of merlot and reisling. I just crushed and pressed the grapes, not enough Merlot to ferment on skins. The resulting must measured 18 brix using a refractometer. Finished wine measures 1.00 with hydrometer, a little high, but not bad. Should be about 9.5% ABV. Using the alcohol meter, it says it has an ABV of zero. Maybe they don’t work outside of distilling in non-clear fluids. Didn’t test any pH or acidity, just made it. I’ll get fancy with a proper harvest.

Anyway, first wine with my grapes, we’ll see how it turns out in a bit.

Update.

I made this wine with a mix of merlot and reisling. I just crushed and pressed the grapes, not enough Merlot to ferment on skins. The resulting must measured 18 brix using a refractometer. Finished wine measures 1.00 with hydrometer, a little high, but not bad. Should be about 9.5% ABV. Using the alcohol meter, it says it has an ABV of zero. Maybe they don’t work outside of distilling in non-clear fluids. Didn’t test any pH or acidity, just made it. I’ll get fancy with a proper harvest.

Anyway, first wine with my grapes, we’ll see how it turns out in a bit.
What kind of alcohol meter are you talking about? If it’s a refractometer, they only measure “potential “ ABV when used prior to fermentation.

I distill also so I have an alcohol meter. Same as a hydrometer, it measures specific gravity and scales it compared to pure alcohol rather than water. Might not work in finished wine.

Actually just tested some commercial wine. Also measures zero alcohol. not sure why this is, gotta think about that.

I distill also so I have an alcohol meter. Same as a hydrometer, it measures specific gravity and scales it compared to pure alcohol rather than water. Might not work in finished wine.

Actually just tested some commercial wine. Also measures zero alcohol. not sure why this is, gotta think about that.
Because a hydrometer does not measure alcohol. It measures the dissolved solids (which is mostly sugar) content of your wine. Your initial SG will give you a very close approximation of ABV if fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back