WineXpert What does a guy get that likes everything???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
I'm running in to an issue...I've converted over to white wines this past year or so...but I still don't mind the occasional red...

I'm down to two bottles on my rack and I want to make a red...one that will last a good 3 years on the rack...so a better kit is in order...

I do Winexpert only...and I've done mostly Italian and French...Sangiovese...Valpolicella...3 different French wines...all were great!!

I've tried other kit wines...Malbec ok...Amarone...Brunello...those two were pretty heavy...Tempranillo was good...Shiraz ok...yadda yadda yadda...

I'm just not sure what would be a great fun wine to pull off the rack over the next few years that would go with anything cause it would be my only red for a while...

Help?? :D

I agree with Boatboy, that Stags Leap Merlot is a good one. Its one of my wife's fav's also. We had to make it again this year.

ROFL!!!

Good one!! Actually...I had that name long before the movie...it's the name of a song from the Canadian band Men Without Hats :)

So a Merlot...that might work...haven't had a bottle here in years!!

Any of the others any good...the Chilean?? French?? Washington?? Any blends?? I see a limited edition Washington Cab\Merlot that's out...

Thanks guys!!!

Yep. It's the black cocktail dress of the wine world. You can pair it with just about anything and use it for almost any occasion. :D

I have to admit that I have rarely drank Merlot since watching "Sideways".
I think on some sub-conscience level I am just gullible to suggestion.
That is until my wife found a bottle of "little black dress merlot" and she likes it.

I have been meaning to try the Stags Merlot, but any mention of merlot around any of the people in my circle gets a response of "blah".

My thought is to make it, oak it. Bottle it and never label it.

See randomly reading the forum has led me to my next kit!
Awesome!

In commercial wine, my personal tastes favor Washington. They tend to have a mineral note that I like. I have not made the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, but I have it on deck.

I have to admit that I have rarely drank Merlot since watching "Sideways".
I think on some sub-conscience level I am just gullible to suggestion.
That is until my wife found a bottle of "little black dress merlot" and she likes it.

I have been meaning to try the Stags Merlot, but any mention of merlot around any of the people in my circle gets a response of "blah".

My thought is to make it, oak it. Bottle it and never label it.

See randomly reading the forum has led me to my next kit!
Awesome!

I know a number of people that have had their minds polluted by this stupid movie....

Excuse me while I get up on my soap box for a bit.

Consider the following..

In the movie, the advice is given by a pretentious loser that steels money from his own poor mother. This character thinks of himself as a great author and ends up chugging down a tasting room slop bucket when he finds out that his 600 page book will not get published.

Why would anybody take wine advice from someone like this, even if it were real life?

The fact of the matter, exactly the opposite is true when you compare pinot and merlot. Merlot is the more difficult grape to grow and is much, much more fragile when it comes to climate.

Pinot is a more cold hardy grape. It grows in most every grape growing region in the world. Great pinots even come out of the fingerlakes region (upstate new York) where winters can be harsh.

I have made plenty of both pinot and merlot and I have to tell you that pinot is much easier to get right then merlot.

Ok, I feel better know. You can have your soap box back.

Still love Sideways for the dark, some say "tragic" comedy that it is. That said the most ironic part of the movie is Miles disdain for Merlot. In fact we all know the famous line, we ain't drinking no "effing" Merlot!

In the end we see Miles's drinking his prized bottle of wine (out of a paper cup in a fast food burger joint no less) , a 1961 Château Cheval Blanc, which is a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, another grape Miles disparaged. After the movie went mainstream, sales of Pinot Noir skyrocketed up 20% while sales of Merlot fell about 5%.

Thanks guys!!!

This is interesting to say the least!!

The only reason I've never considered a Merlot is that I haven't had a bottle in I betcha 10 years!!

K...Stag's is being raved on...what about one step down...the International series??

Not that I'm opposed to the Eclipse but the heavy oak??

I have not made the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, but I have it on deck.

That just might be my favorite CC Showcase kit of all time. Even better than the RMC IMHO. That would be my pick if i had to make just one red wine (kit). Winner, winner, chicken dinner as Guy F. likes to say! :try

Still love Sideways for the dark, some say "tragic" comedy that it is. That said the most ironic part of the movie is Miles disdain for Merlot. In fact we all know the famous line, we ain't drinking no "effing" Merlot!

In the end we see Miles's drinking his prized bottle of wine (out of a paper cup in a fast food burger joint no less) , a 1961 Château Cheval Blanc, which is a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Franc, another grape Miles disparaged. After the movie went mainstream, sales of Pinot Noir skyrocketed up 20% while sales of Merlot fell about 5%.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the movie.
It is a case of a pretentious, failed writer and his "frat boy" type buddy. Both looking for something different on a road trip.

I just find it funny that one line could influence soo many, myself included!

I will make an effort to right this wrong and jump back on the merlot bandwagon!

Thanks guys!!!

K...Stag's is being raved on...what about one step down...the International series??

The Stag's Merlot is very good. For the International series, the Australian Petit Verdot is also very nice. Mine drank well early (6-8 months), went through a dumb phase and then really matured into a great wine at 18 months. Next bottle I open will be at 2yr mark. I think it will fit into your 2-3 year range. Also, you will stimulate the conversation of "what is Petit Verdot"?

That's funny!!

So...sounds like it Stag or nothing?? No International kits compete??

That's funny!!

So...sounds like it Stag or nothing?? No International kits compete??

Well, I haven't made a Merlot, but I have made the WE Series International Argentine Malbec. (I didn't suggest it, as you said you didn't like it in the OP.) They also have a WE SI Chilean Merlot. I haven't tried it, but based on my positive experience with the Malbec, I would try it myself in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back