What do I cover my primary with?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I am going to start some strawberry wine from frozen fruit. Once everything is in my primary (a 3 gallons food grade bucket), what do I cover it with? I have a lid for it that is drilled for a bung, but I understand you should never air lock a primary due to the necessity of oxygen. So, what do I cover it with? Just a big towel and make sure its secure around the edges?

I'm Using the Jack Keller recipe for frozen strawberries. Perhaps I should use my lid and stuff the little hole with cotton as per Keller?

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter honestly. You just want to keep the dust and fruit flies out. You can use a plastic lid (like I do now), or a piece of coroplast (that has been sanitized), or a towel that has been taped around the edges.

I got tired of using a towel so I went and bought a plastic lid that fit my primary. Much less hassle.

OK, i will use the lid, but my other recipe that I reference for strawberry wine (Terry Garey's) says to fit the primary with an airlock.....so...airlock or cotton?

Does that not matter either?

I use a clean tshirt, pillowcase or anything to keep bugs/dust/hair out but still let air in/out.

I rather lay the lid on top loosely or cover with cheesecloth that is secured with rubber bands that have been linked together.

This time of year just lay the lid on top. In warm months when insects (especially fruit flies) are out, cover with cheesecloth, nylon mesh, or sometime that will allow the must to vent but not let insects in.

Fred

I use an old but clean dish towel, then place the plastic lid on top. Once things get going, seems like I have to check on it at least once and probably a couple of times a day. Gotta punch down the cap if there is one and give her a stir. Arne.

This time of year I just lay the lid on loosely. Summertime I use a clean towel. Whatever you do is fine but make it easy on yourself to take the top off to punch down the cap and take Hydro readings. Just don't put the lid on tight as you need 02 during primary.

OK here I go again (grin)
A lot of the posts here about not sealing the primary.......are just plain wrong. It doesn't make any difference. Never saw a modern winery with an open stainless steel primary, they are all closed. True oxygen is needed during the primary fermentation, but the important step is to properly aerate the must before fermentation starts. Vigourous stirring, air bubbling...whatever. After fermentation has started in a properly aerated wine has started, the small am9ount of oxygen that is dissolved from the ambient air is insignificant. In all cases (both red and white) you should be stirring down (white) or breaking the cap (red) sometimes as much as 3 times a day. To do this you have to open a sealed fermenter in order to stir it, thus exposing it to the 17% oxygen that is in ambient air. It is the stirring or cap punching that puts more oxygen into the must, not the exposure to ambient air. I use only sealed primary fermentors, but mine are always oversized....which theoretically could allow more dissolved oxygen...theoretically. In wineries with closed fermentators a small amount of filtered air is injected during pumpover, which is exactly what you are doing whtn you punch the cap or stir. So really it doesn't make anydifference. The advantage to sealed fermentors, howver, is that the chances for contamination are kept to the bare minimum

OK here I go again (grin)
A lot of the posts here about not sealing the primary.......are just plain wrong. It doesn't make any difference. Never saw a modern winery with an open stainless steel primary, they are all closed. True oxygen is needed during the primary fermentation, but the important step is to properly aerate the must before fermentation starts. Vigourous stirring, air bubbling...whatever. After fermentation has started in a properly aerated wine has started, the small am9ount of oxygen that is dissolved from the ambient air is insignificant. In all cases (both red and white) you should be stirring down (white) or breaking the cap (red) sometimes as much as 3 times a day. To do this you have to open a sealed fermenter in order to stir it, thus exposing it to the 17% oxygen that is in ambient air. It is the stirring or cap punching that puts more oxygen into the must, not the exposure to ambient air. I use only sealed primary fermentors, but mine are always oversized....which theoretically could allow more dissolved oxygen...theoretically. In wineries with closed fermentators a small amount of filtered air is injected during pumpover, which is exactly what you are doing whtn you punch the cap or stir. So really it doesn't make anydifference. The advantage to sealed fermentors, howver, is that the chances for contamination are kept to the bare minimum

Ya know what they say? Different strokes for different folks :D

You'll find everyone does things around here a little differently and that's okay.

:dg

I use only sealed primary fermentors, but mine are always oversized....which theoretically could allow more dissolved oxygen...theoretically.
PITA to open a sealed plastic bucket every time you want to stir or punch down.

Fred

Latest posts

Back