What did I do wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkskin

Junior
Reaction score
I racked my California merlot from primary to secondary last night, topped off with a little water, stirred well and put on airlock. I sit the carboy in my lil holding area. I went back to check on it in 20 minutes and :se, airlock had blown off and merlot was splattered on walls and floor. LOL. Why did this happen so I may be able to prevent it in the future? Thanks

Porkskin, a couple of things could have happened. What was the SG when you went to secondary? I like to move mine when the SG is at or just below 1.020. It sounds like there was still a healthy fermentation going on in your case. Also, when you install the airlock be sure both the stopper and the neck of the carboy are dry. I have had stoppers slip out because one or both the neck or the stopper were wet and there was not a good seal.

Even though you lost a little wine, I doubt if you have a problem because of the active fermetation. There was probably a goodly amount of CO2 on the surface of the wine in the carboy protecting the wine from air.

Hey Rocky, my SG was actually .996. I know when I was stirring, their was a whole lot of gas rising to the top and plus, yes the neck and stopper was still wet.

It is not necessary or advisable to top off during secondary. It is better to have a little room for expansion. Even though your SG was very low and fermentation is done, the act of racking and introducing air can cause it to foam up.

When fermentation is completed and you rack off of all sediment/lees, that is the time to top off.

I believe the wine gods were just checking on your vocabulary. I'm sure they wouldn't approve if that had happened here. Think the guys above are steering you right. Arne.

Latest posts

Back