Newbie Fermenting Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on the bucket again tonight. Looks like if I'm reading it right tonight it was 1.060? I couldnt hear it sizzling today, i gave it a good stir after i checked the SG . Should i keep stirring it everyday to help air get into it? I got that Fermtech thief today so i could do the hydrometer in the thief but it was hard to spin as there wasn't enough liquid in it to bring the top of the hydrometer to the top to spin. When do you do the comparison of the start SG and final SG to see what the ABV is?

Should i keep stirring it everyday to help air get into it?
Yes, stir daily.

When you have a small batch, tilt the bucket a bit and let the thief fill WITHOUT the hydrometer in it. Then place the hydrometer in the thief, and hopefully you'll have enough volume to check. My batches are normally between 5 and 15 US gallons, so volume is not a problem

The final SG is determined after fermentation is complete. The OG will let you estimate the ABV, but until fermentation is complete, you cannot calculate the actual ABV.

7) Add potassium sorbate (typically 1/2 tsp per gallon, but read the package in case that formulation is different) and 1/4 tsp K-meta, stirring well. Sweeten to taste.
The 1/4 tsp of K-meta, is that per gal or 1/4 tsp per the whole batch? Also. When it come time to bottle. Can i split this into 2 batches? My wife likes her wine really dry and i like mine fairly sweet. I was thinking leave half the way it is for her then back sweeten the other half for me.

Last edited:
The 1/4 tsp of K-meta, is that per gal or 1/4 tsp per the whole batch? Also. When it come time to bottle. Can i split this into 2 batches? My wife likes her wine really dry and i like mine fairly sweet. I was thinking leave half the way it is for her then back sweeten the other half for me.

1/4 tsp is good for a 6 gallon batch.

Absolutely, you can split the batch and treat each half differently. Your expected use is a perfect example of why that makes sense.

When you are bottling, do a little over half, then add sugar to the remainder, to taste. You can then have the best of both worlds.

edit: I would add a 'little' sugar to begin with, your choice.

The 1/4 tsp of K-meta, is that per gal or 1/4 tsp per the whole batch?
@sour_grapes already answered this. I updated my post to make it clear that 1/4 tsp K-meta is per 5/6 gallons.

Regarding backsweetening, non-grape wines generally benefit from just a bit of sugar, as it brings out the flavor of the fruit. Bone dry is surprisingly less pleasing. When ready to bottle, pour a couple of half-glasses and add 1/4 tsp sugar to one, then taste. Your wife will probably find the one with just a bit of sugar to be better.

@G259's idea is brilliant! I'll add that if she wants it bone dry, bottle half without sorbate, as it's unnecessary. Then stabilize and sweeten the second half.
Otherwise stabilize, sweeten to her taste & bottle, then sweeten to your taste & bottle.

Do whatever works for you. Purchasing a box wine (red or white) to fill the carboy is probably the most cost effective solution for topping.

The general sequence of events is:

1) Start fermentation.

2) Rack when SG drops below 1.020. You can rack at any point between 1.020 and "done". Put in a carboy. Unless fermentation has ceased, there is no need to topup at this time.

3) If fermentation is still active (SG > 1.000), fermentation will continue until done, taking an additional 1 to 10 days (normally). Once the sediment starts to compact, rack again. Normally you'll see the sediment build up, then the layer will shrink a bit. You save more wine if you let it compact.

4) Transfer back into the carboy and topup with a compatible wine. For Welch's, I'd use a box Merlot, "Chianti", or "Burgundy". Add 1/4 tsp K-meta (potassium metabisulfite) at this time.

5) Let the wine bulk age 3 months. Unless there is a sediment buildup, you don't need to touch it.

6) Rack the wine.

7) Add potassium sorbate (typically 1/2 tsp per gallon, but read the package in case that formulation is different) and 1/4 tsp K-meta (per 5/6 gallons), stirring well. Sweeten to taste.

I fully agree with @G259, don't blindly add a sweetener. Try adding 1 can of defrosted concentrate, stir very well, then taste. Repeat until you think it needs just a bit more -- then stop.

8) Bottle. Some folks wait a few days before bottling, in case the sorbate/sulfite didn't prevent a renewed fermentation. I've never had this problem, but others have, especially if the sorbate is old.

For future reference -- start with an initial volume at least 2 quarts greater than your carboy size; 3 or 4 quarts is better. You will lose volume when racking so if you start with a greater volume, you shouldn't need topup.

Keep smaller bottles on hand to hold any additional wine. I have a collection of bottles from 125 ml to 750 ml for this purpose.

Next time, scale your recipe up -- use 15 cans concentrate and 6 lbs sugar and dilute to a total of 6-3/4 gallons. This should fit your carboy.

You mention adding K-meta on step 4 and 7. I need to add it both times correct?

You mention adding K-meta on step 4 and 7. I need to add it both times correct?
SO2 gets used up as it binds to contaminants in the wine, including O2, so periodic additions should be made.

Some folks use SO2 test kits and try to maintain a specific level of SO2. I go by an old rule-of-thumb and add K-meta at all rackings and at bottling.

SO2 gets used up as it binds to contaminants in the wine, including O2, so periodic additions should be made.

Some folks use SO2 test kits and try to maintain a specific level of SO2. I go by an old rule-of-thumb and add K-meta at all rackings and at bottling.
Awesome. Thank you all for all the information this past week. ! Greatly appreciated.

So checked SG again tonight. 1.030. Its been dropping about 10 points a day. Should i leave it in the primary till its completely done, or rack it off into a carboy at 1.020 and let it finish?

I am going with extended maceration (prolonged exposure to skins) on my red zinfandel, so I expect it to be very low.

The point to rack is any place between 1.020 and "done". Folks have personal reasons for choosing the point at which they do the first racking/pressing. It's all good.

Me? If the wine has solids, I rack closer to 1.000, else around 1.010. Like @G259, I want prolonged exposure to fruit solids, to extract more. If there are no solids, I rack earlier.

I like a bit of activity left in the wine when I put it under airlock. I leave an extra few inches of headspace, in case the fermentation is vigorous, and let the wine set for 4 to 10 days. Since the wine is under airlock, you can ignore it as air is not a problem -- the final fermentation provides a CO2 cushion. Once fermentation completes the gross lees will drop faster, and I give it a few days to compact a bit before the second racking. You lose less wine this way.

This is MY answer. Other folks have procedures that work just as well. Do whatever makes the most sense to you at the time, and remember -- what you do this batch is not what you have to do with the next. Treat it as a continual learning process.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back