What Are Good Vegetable Wines For Beginners To Try?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
Trying to learn what are some good veggie wines to try. I have never heard of wines made from vegetables and definitely have never tasted any but I am curious to find out who makes wine using vegetables.

LAgreeneyes said:
Trying to learn what are some good veggie wines to try. I have never heard of wines made from vegetables and definitely have never tasted any but I am curious to find out who makes wine using vegetables.

Potato wine, rice wine, rhubarb wine are some popular wines.

I have heard that carrot is really good but never tried it myself.

So many good suggestions. I will look for a few recipes and experiment with 1 gallon batches to see if I like them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

One of the members of our wine club made a parsley wine. She bottled it without allowing the wine to degas so it was carbonated, and very young. It tasted very similar to ginger ale. I could NOT stop drinking it--very excellent.

A few years ago, we made a cucumber/lime wine that we use to make salad dressing--extremely good. I think we got the recipe from Jack Keller's site and added lime zest to it.

Today I will be starting a batch of Kale wine. I have a huge farm operation in my neighborhood and they heard about my wine making adventures, so they approached me with the idea of taking their very popular Kale and producing a wine just for them.

I have scoured the internet looking for receipts for leafy vegetable wine to no avail. So I will take my basic knowledge of making "country wines" and see if I can apply it to Kale.

If this goes well, I'm sure they will want to make this a staple product~

MercerHouse are you a licensed winery operation? It is one thing to produce a wine for yourself and give a bottle or two to the kale operation, but for them to offer it as a product you would need to be licensed.

I did a 5 gallon batch of beet wine last fall. Turned out marvelous! Just prior to that I'd done a 1 gallon experiment with different ingredients, and it turned out great too. PM me for the recipe if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back