Polish Syrups

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshcookie

Junior
Reaction score
As I've got more confident I have a few wines and meads on the go made with actual fruits and vegetables. I have also been purchasing wine kits as they can be finished quickly and enjoyed while my other brews are ageing and clearing.
The kits are fairly expensive I guess at £16 for a 6 bottle kit. I recently bought a Polish syrup to backsweeten my cherry mead and cherry wine, I checked on a FB group if it was ok to use. Apparently, I can use the whole bottle to make a gallon of wine, looking at the ingredients I don't see why not either!
I'm going to give it a go as I'm hoping it will be a game changer from buying wine kits...£1.55 vs £16 it's worth a try I reckon. So, I'm going to try the Raspberry this weekend 🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413_185836_Tesco.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_185836_Tesco.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230413_190012_Tesco.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413_190012_Tesco.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
Based on the ingredient list you should be able to ferment it. It probably is thin when you dilute the sugar to 1.090 gravity. (gravity is a linear function you can guess original gravity by diluting 25ml with 75ml distilled> then multiplying the fraction by four and add one back in) ,, To build up the flavor consider back sweetening with the same syrup (is the syrup cloudy or clear?)
The US market does not have polish syrups so some of this is making the assumption that the product is similar to Toni mixed drink syrups.

Based on the ingredient list you should be able to ferment it. It probably is thin when you dilute the sugar to 1.090 gravity. (gravity is a linear function you can guess original gravity by diluting 25ml with 75ml distilled> then multiplying the fraction by four and add one back in) ,, To build up the flavor consider back sweetening with the same syrup (is the syrup cloudy or clear?)
The US market does not have polish syrups so some of this is making the assumption that the product is similar to Toni mixed drink syrups.
So I went ahead and made it today. I used a bottle and a half, added sugar to reach 1.090. You're right, it did taste 'thin' so I'm thinking I might add some raspberries in secondary? and I have the left over syrup to backsweeten later. It's a cheap enough experiment!

I looked at that syrup on line and wish it was easily available to me. It's refreshing to see actual sugar in the ingredients.

I see it has 78 g sugar per 100 ml. You could use three 400ml bottles, maybe four, for a gallon batch. The regular raspberry acid shouldn't be an issue with the carrot concentrate added. And using fresh raspberries in secondary? I think you'd have to use quite a bit to affect the flavor.

Just had another thought - plan a higher ABV wine, step feeding, and using the syrup for sugar additions.

@welshcookie I think you're really lucky to have that syrup to play with!

I looked at that syrup on line and wish it was easily available to me. It's refreshing to see actual sugar in the ingredients.

I see it has 78 g sugar per 100 ml. You could use three 400ml bottles, maybe four, for a gallon batch. The regular raspberry acid shouldn't be an issue with the carrot concentrate added. And using fresh raspberries in secondary? I think you'd have to use quite a bit to affect the flavor.

Just had another thought - plan a higher ABV wine, step feeding, and using the syrup for sugar additions.

@welshcookie I think you're really lucky to have that syrup to play with!
I'll definitely use more next time and look up step feeding, I feel it might need more flavour. On the plus side it's fermenting well already!

Latest posts

Back