Welch's wine????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I was thinking about starting a batch of Welch's white grape. I found a recipe on Jack Kellers site that looks good. It calls for using straight juice. If my calculations are correct that should be 2.5 cans of concentrate per gallon. Does that sound right? I was going to use the white Niagra. Anyone know how this turns out? Do you drink it dry or sweeten?

In my online searches I found a funny video about Welch's wine. It made me laugh anyway. Not for kids

http://youtu.be/kPN35EOJlEg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I did a 3 gallon batch that I just bottled - I used 3 cans per gallon - turned out really good

Agree with dralarms. I always use 4 cans per gallon.

I personally don't like white grape wine :S but to the dry or sweet question white wine most of the time is sweet.

I've never tried Niagra grape wine before. In kinda hoping it will come out like a Pinot Grigio? Maybe ill get a can or two of concentrate with the peach in it.

Check out this link. It may help you out. I just made it a couple of months ago. Just bottled it so will give it some time before opening. I sweetened it up pretty good as that is how my wife likes it and I made it for her.
I used 4 cans Welchs White Niagra concentrate and then enough water to reach just a little over a gallon.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/awesome-white-wine-34725/

I've never tried Niagra grape wine before. In kinda hoping it will come out like a Pinot Grigio? Maybe ill get a can or two of concentrate with the peach in it.

You can probably get it close to something like that if you leave it fairly dry and only backsweeten a little. I would shoot for a final SG of 1.005-1.007'ish.

I started a concentrate Welche's Niagra last november for the WMT welche's contest hoping to make it kinda like a chardonnay. I'm thinking Pinot Grigio might be closer to what it comes out like but I added lots of stuff. Oak, dried apricots, citrus zest mexican cinnamon and then back sweetened with apricot preserves. It's still really evolving but starting to look like it will be pretty enjoyable for summer time. I also went with 4 cans per gallon.
Mike

I went to Walmart and picked up all my ingredients. Here's what I bought. This is for a 6 gallon batch

-12 cans Welch's white grape juice concentrate, All they had.
-2 64 oz Welch's white grape juice
-2 cans Welch's white grape peach concentrate.
-1 can store brand apple juice concentrate
-15 oz sun maid golden raisins

Yeast I have on hand is 1118 and rc212. I could get the d47 but i may have a hard time keeping it below 68 degrees. My wife is a freeze baby and our house is always around 72. Would I ruin the batch if the temperature rose above that?

Maybe I should get some more juice concentrate? 1 reply said to use 4 cans per gallon. This works out to around 3. EDIT: I just read the newer posts and will be picking up 6 more cans of the white juice concentrate.

I am trying to get "hints of peach and apple". I don't know if that will work or not.

Are the raisins a good idea?
Should I toss a banana in the mix?

I still consider myself a rookie. Here's what I've done so far
3 low end kits bottled
2 6 gal batches dragon blood bottled
6 gal skeeter pee clearing
1 WE eclipse in carboy bulk aging
1 We selection in primary
1 1 gal experiment orange chocolate clearing (not much hope for this batch. It's way to bitter)

Last edited:
The welches apple mango passion fruit turns out like a piniot grigio sorry about spelling and sorry John t but it is good. Also buy some extra concentrate later for topping up will end up close to 4 cans per gallon

Be patient with orange chocolate. I did some Joes ancient orange mead and it is definitely improving with age. Did It 1 yr ago may and it definitely is improving.

Excuse me for not knowing exactly what to call the "containers" of frozen concentrate, cans, containers, sleeves, plastic cups (yes, my kids use them as cups after I start a batch)...

I usually use 3 cans of concentrate per gallon on frozen concentrate batches. When back sweetening I add 2 more cans for a 5 gal batch or 2.5-3 cans on a 6 gal. Seems like it adds back extra flavor and body. My 2 cents.

I went to Walmart and picked up all my ingredients. Here's what I bought. This is for a 6 gallon batch

-12 cans Welch's white grape juice concentrate, All they had.
-2 64 oz Welch's white grape juice
-2 cans Welch's white grape peach concentrate.
-1 can store brand apple juice concentrate
-15 oz sun maid golden raisins

Yeast I have on hand is 1118 and rc212. I could get the d47 but i may have a hard time keeping it below 68 degrees. My wife is a freeze baby and our house is always around 72. Would I ruin the batch if the temperature rose above that?

Maybe I should get some more juice concentrate? 1 reply said to use 4 cans per gallon. This works out to around 3. EDIT: I just read the newer posts and will be picking up 6 more cans of the white juice concentrate.

I am trying to get "hints of peach and apple". I don't know if that will work or not.

Are the raisins a good idea?
Should I toss a banana in the mix?

I still consider myself a rookie. Here's what I've done so far
3 low end kits bottled
2 6 gal batches dragon blood bottled
6 gal skeeter pee clearing
1 WE eclipse in carboy bulk aging
1 We selection in primary
1 1 gal experiment orange chocolate clearing (not much hope for this batch. It's way to bitter)

Definitely use 4 cans per gallon and you can add a can or two when backsweetening.

What do you guys think about the golden raisins and a banana or two?

personally I would use some tannins instead of the raisins. I don't want anyone thinking I am trashing them for using raisins, I'm not, I just don't use them. And bananas, I would use prior to fermentation.

How long do you guys age your welchs for? This batch is still almost undrinkable. I am starting to think it never will be

Back