Watered down wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockne

Junior
Reaction score
I recently opened a bottle of cab and merlot that was 11mos old and had been in the bottle for three mos. They both tasted weak almost watery. is it just a matter of letting it age longer? I always topped off with wine, not water. both were made from juice. They were good but weak.

Rockne, when you say juice, do you mean like juice in buckets from L'Uva Bella? I see that you are in Canton very near to them. I always add either raisins or a grape pack to red juice buckets in the primary stage for additional body.

Was there any difference between the Cab and the Merlot? To me Merlot is lighter than Cabernet Sauvignon anyway. If you have the information recorded, what was the starting SG or the two wines?

Rockne, when you say juice, do you mean like juice in buckets from L'Uva Bella? I see that you are in Canton very near to them. I always add either raisins or a grape pack to red juice buckets in the primary stage for additional body.

Rocky, do they sell grape packs up there or should I plan on ordering one before I go?

Last edited:
I don't know if L'Uva Bella sells grape packs or not. They do not show grape packs on their price list. I get them from George at the Toy Store. He has Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon in stock for retail $15 or $13.50 to Club members. I have one Syrah on hand plus I have some frozen white grapes in my freezer to make a pack. I get my raisins at Sam's Club and I have a 3 lb box on hand.

I also add raisins for my Reds but if you want body you should be adding tannins and or oaking. It will make a big difference to the mouth feel of your wine

Dufresne, What do you use to add tannin? I have heard of a product called Tancor but have never tried it. It seems to be the "weapon of choice" when adding tannin. Do you used it? Is it a powder or a liquid? I have a 4 oz bottle of tannin but have never used it. I do use oak cubes and I have two 6 gallon oak barrels.

Yes the juice is from Luva Bella. I have never added raisens or grape skins.I am pretty new at this. How much raisens should be added to six gallons during fermentation? Won't that raise the sugar level and thus the alcohol level? Also does anyone think the body will come with aging longer or is that just wushful thinking. I did use oak cubes in both. Starting SG was around 1.900.

I usually add 1 box of raisins to my primary when making a 6 gallon batch. Before adding them, I pulse them in a food processor or rough chop them on a cutting board just enough to break the skins. Yes, they will have a slight affect on the SG level. I don't think the effect on final ABV is that great.

As far as aging having an effect on the body, I am not sure. Some water is lost during aging so I guess that would have an affect. I don't seem to be able to keep wine long enough to find out. :ib

Back