Secondary Tweak Suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I left my big reds in secondary to age further. Kits with skins, oak, and bumped up ABV's. A Montepulciano, Cab, Shiraz blend and a "Toscana' blend. Chianti, Chianti Classico, Brunello di Montalcino, and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Copied and pasted, I don't keep that off the top of my head. I will have to get it down for serving though. 😄

The Pinot Noir and the Sangiovese were very pleasant and easily drinkable, so I bottled to make space for the recent batches.

The Malbec, (which might be me, I have never had one and thought wow) is lacking fullness and presence at the very least. Off the top of my head I was thinking oak cubes. It had sacrificial oak, but none added in secondary. Any Tweaks that have offered you a little wow in a less than exciting wine?

You can trial mannoprotein or gum Arabic if you are looking for body. Otherwise you can look at increase your pH to enhance a fuller mouthfeel, Malbec normally runs higher pH as grapes.

How much glycerin do you typically add to a 6gal batch?
It varies tremendously -- any where from 1/4 oz to 1 oz per 1 US gallon / 4 liters. If the wine is thinner (lacking body) and/or has harshness, I use more. My typical is 1/2 to 3/4 oz per gallon, although I had one wine that ended up taking 1-1/8 oz / gallon, as it was both thin and harsh.

It varies tremendously -- any where from 1/4 oz to 1 oz per 1 US gallon / 4 liters. If the wine is thinner (lacking body) and/or has harshness, I use more. My typical is 1/2 to 3/4 oz per gallon, although I had one wine that ended up taking 1-1/8 oz / gallon, as it was both thin and harsh.
any idea how much the glycerin affects the SG of a 6gal batch ? (ie...SG increase by ounces added to 6gal batch)

any idea how much the glycerin affects the SG of a 6gal batch ? (ie...SG increase by ounces added to 6gal batch)

If you don't add it until it goes in the 1st rack after fermentation is complete then the SG effect is zip.
This is my answer. I've never checked SG after adding glycerin, as it doesn't matter to me.

For me, only 3 SG readings matter long term: OG, FG, and Adjusted FG (SG after backsweetening). I don't necessarily record SG readings during fermentation, as typically they are simply a gauge for progress. OG and FG enable me to calculate ABV, while FG and AFG enable me to calculate the amount of residual sugar.

I’ve only added it at bottling. I use 8 oz for a 5/6 gallon carboy.
@Bmd2k1, Bob raises a good point, whether he intended or not -- add as much glycerin as tastes good to you. My version of "backsweetened" is a lot less than most people, and that's simply MY taste, so the amounts of glycerin I add is my taste. My elder son doesn't change things up much, as his tastes are pretty close to mine. We're not twins born 33 years apart, but there's a lot of overlap. Or inheritance. Or something. 🤣

Hopefully we've given you enough information to start with. I suggest adding a small amount then stir well. Glycerin is thick and doesn't dissolve without persuasion. Taste. Repeat until you're satisfied.

Every wine will be different. Make yourself happy!

But to try to answer the question: It would raise the SG by a very small amount. Let's assume for a moment that the volume doesn't change upon mixing. If you add 1 oz. of glycerin to 1 gallon of water, it would (theoretically) raise the SG by 0.002 points.

To be honest, I don’t think I can taste any sweetness. I use it to thicken the mouthfeel.
I perceive a slight difference in the same wine with and without glycerin. I suspect most people would need to taste the before and after side-by-side to detect it.

Like you, I use glycerin to add mouthfeel, and it does a good job of sanding down rough edges.

Latest posts

Back