Walmart Concord grape jelly wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fruit has been processed so the need for any sulfites to ward off any wild yeast is gone or these jars would be exploding on the shelves.

Hi S)cott,

Here is the recipe, you can use whatever jelly or jam that you want. I have had huge success with Walmart seedless blackberry jam and peach jam.

This makes 1 gallon:

3 lb. jelly or jam any flavor
6 pts of water
1 lb sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 pkg wine yeast (I normally use lavlin 1122)
starting sg 1.095 - 1.100
1. scoop jam or jelly into primary fermentor. stir in water (use cool not warm) and jelly or jam thoroughly.
2. stir in all other ingredients, then, add yeast. cover primary.
3. stir daily, check s.g.
4. when ferment reaches s.g 1.040 (3-5 days) syphon off wine sediment into glass secondary. attach airlock
5. when ferment reaches 1.000 (about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. reattach lock.
6. to aid clearing syphon again in 2 months and again if necessary before bottling.
If you wish to slightly sweeten wine at bottling: add 1/2 tsp stabilizer, then stir in 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.

Hope this helps
Julie

I made this recipe today using Smucker's Seedless Blackberry Jam (from Wal Mart). I used 18 jars (18 oz. per jar) since I'm making six gallons.

The problem is that even with water added to near six gallons, the SG reads 1.100 even though I haven't yet added any sugar.

I followed the recipe directions to the letter. The must was very thoroughly mixed using an immersion blender, and then a drill-powered mix-stir. I used two identical hydrometers, and both measured the SG at 1.100. And both measure the SG of pure water to be 1.000, just as they should. The hydrometers are working fine.

I just added pectic enzyme a few minutes ago, and was planning to pitch the yeast tomorrow. Is it possible the pectic enzyme will attack the pectin, and reduce the thickness of the must over night so that an accurate sugar-based SG can be obtained tomorrow?

Could it be that the jam was so loaded with sugar to begin with that the must already has enough sugar without having to add any? Could it be that the jam is so thick (with other ingredients besides sugar) that the SG is reading artificially high?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chopper

don't add sugar, the jam itself has enough and if your must is thick you probably are getting a false reading, leave it sit 24 hours and then check the sg again.

Thanks Julie. I let it set for 24 hours, and the SG is the same. Just pitched the yeast...

Chopper, just got back fro a few days camping with the kids and found your post. Ihad the same issues with hydrometer readings using the concord jelly. I ended up calculating the total sugar and used those calculations for sg. As I recall it took a month or two to ferment and it stalled for the last time at around 1.01. It did turn out pretty good,
Sjo

Hi S)cott,

Here is the recipe, you can use whatever jelly or jam that you want. I have had huge success with Walmart seedless blackberry jam and peach jam.

Hope this helps
Julie

That sounds like a great recipe! I'll have to see what flavors I can find.

Most of the wine I make is from frozen concentrate cause fruit is so damn expensive here, at the moment, I have a Apple/Passion/Mango working( Old Orchard brand, 100% Juice) concentrate. I like the idea of using Jams and jellies myself and am looking forward to what others may say on this.
Troy

I have a 6 cans of that Apple/Passion/Mango working (Old Orchard brand, 100% Juice) concentrate (With coupon I paid 50c each) that I would like to make into wine.

What is the recipe???

Last edited:
I have a 6 cans of that Apple/Passion/Mango working (Old Orchard brand, 100% Juice) concentrate (With coupon I paid 50c each) that I would like to make into wine.

What is the recipe???

use 3 cans per gallon, water to a gallon, check sg and add enough sugar to bring sg to 1.080. you should need to suphite, it should already have it in, add peptic enzyme, yeast nutrient, check acid and add to bring to .65%, let it sit 24 hours and then add yeast, I like to use Lavin 1122 for fruit wines. ferment to dry, stabilize and backsweeten to 1.005 - 1.010.

Hi S)cott,

This makes 1 gallon:

3 lb. jelly or jam any flavor
6 pts of water
1 lb sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 pkg wine yeast (I normally use lavlin 1122)
starting sg 1.095 - 1.100
1. scoop jam or jelly into primary fermentor. stir in water (use cool not warm) and jelly or jam thoroughly.
2. stir in all other ingredients, then, add yeast. cover primary.
3. stir daily, check s.g.
4. when ferment reaches s.g 1.040 (3-5 days) syphon off wine sediment into glass secondary. attach airlock
5. when ferment reaches 1.000 (about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. reattach lock.
6. to aid clearing syphon again in 2 months and again if necessary before bottling.
If you wish to slightly sweeten wine at bottling: add 1/2 tsp stabilizer, then stir in 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.

Hope this helps
Julie
Hi Julie,
I tried your recipe, but I think I may have misunderstood step #4, was I supposed to siphon the wine off the sediment or syphon everything including the sediment?
Thanks,
Kim

Latest posts

Back