Waldo's Black Currant Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Got it started this morning. Will have to defer on any pictures as I ran off and left my camera at work yesterday evening. Started a 6 gallon batch at an SG of 1.100 and a must temp of 68 degreesusing the followin recipe:

2 cans Vinters Harvest Black Currant concentrate

6 Campden tablets crushed and dissolved in processor

12 lbs. Sugar dissolved in hot water

3 Tbsp. Acid Blend

6 tsp. Yeast Nutrient

3 tsp. Yeast energizer

3/8 tsp. liquid pectic enzyme

Water added to 6 gallon
Red Star Cote des Blancsyeast

1. Crushed and dissolved campden tablets and added to primary fermenter.
2. Added Currant juice to fermenter
3. Dissolved sugar in about 2 gallonshot water and added to fermenter
4. Added additional water to make 6 gallons
5. Stirred must well ( about 4 minutes total with stir-x)
6. Let Must set for about 8 hours and then added Pectic Enzyme, Nutrient and Energizer and stirred well again with stir-x
7. Let must set for about 14 hours and pitched yeast at an SG of 1.100 and a Must temp of 68 degrees.

Ahhhhhhhhh a new scale for the wine tasters to use !!!
Yep, that Zin was a 5 clapper but that Pinot was definately a 8 clapper
smiley36.gif

Black Currant just sounds like it's going to be a good wine.....think I will have to get some of that concentrate....can't wait to plant some and wait 3 years for a harvest...if lucky and they grow....
Are you going to have it finish sweet???Is that why you used Côte des Blancs yeast...it finishes sweeter...right?????

Going for a full body batch huh Waldo. I stretched the one can out to a
6 gallon batch on the one you tasted. Yours should be really good.

Northern Winos said:
Black Currant just sounds like it's going to be a good wine.....think I will have to get some of that concentrate....can't wait to plant some and wait 3 years for a harvest...if lucky and they grow....
Are you going to have it finish sweet???Is that why you used Côte des Blancs yeast...it finishes sweeter...right?????

Yes NW...I formulated my recipe for this one to finish sweet. My beginning SG may be a little high but hopefully it will finish about where I want it which is JUST EXACTLY LIKE WADE'S WAS

20061105_145302_bkcur600.gif

My mouth is watering every time I think of Black Currant Wine....Guess it's good to have a goal on our wish-lists...
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:

My mouth is watering every time I think of Black Currant Wine....Guess it's good to have a goal on our wish-lists...
smiley4.gif

Damn....I love that NW....Can I use itin my Black Currant label?

Have a good active fermentation going this morning, low foam but the aroma had the drool running from the corners of my lips. Tried taking a pic with my razr but could not get it to send ..oh well, will get my trusty ole Nikon back from worj today

Waldo said:
Northern Winos said:
smiley4.gif

Damn....I love that NW....Can I use it in my Black Currant label?

Yes. by all means use the graphic...
Been spending Deer Hunting Season on my 'stand'[aka computer chair] looking for clipart of fruits to put on wine labels...been fun.

Made a couple of designs for my Black Currant Label this morning. Now which one should I use

(A)

blackcurrantlabel.jpg

(B)

blackcurrantlabel1.jpg

(C)

blackcurrantlabel2.jpg

I like B as well but I would back off the heavy drop shadow a bit and add just a touch to the rest of the lettering.

(Oh man! Now I'm sounding like a know-it-all! You can tell me to pipe down any time!)

I like B as well looks great.. Waldo How did you come up with the Cats Meow Winery Name??

I like "B" Waldo, but good job on them all, I'm jealous...........

Not just because you make great labels, but because you make labels early in the process............ I don't get mine made till about 2 weeks after bottling............. the better the wine taste, the better the label
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back