Waldo's Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked my Apple/Rasberry Sunday evening and the color has deepened somewhat.
rackedrasberryapple100806.jpg

apple-rasberry2100806.jpg

The nose definately lets you know there is Rasberry present in this one, It has a sharp tartness that was not present before fermenting. I added 5 campden tablets at racking and will let it continue to bulk age. Will get some additional pictures later as the clearing progresses.
Just to throw it in here, following is a shot of my Muscadine I also racked Sunday.
muscadineracked100806.jpg

This is not from the steamed batch, this one was made the conventional method. I think it is going to bea good batchthough.Edited by: Waldo

The color is beautiful and I think I can smell them both from here!!
smiley1.gif

Hard to tell them apart except for the fact that the Musc. is a tad
darker. I can smell them from Ct. and they smell Gooooooooooood!

It is a wonderful odor too..Or to me it is Joan

They do look similiar wade but the Muscadine is actually a little darker than the picture shows. Now there is wine I will shove my nose deep into
smiley36.gif

Joan said:
"Odor"???? Don't you mean "aroma"???
smiley4.gif

My gawdddddddddddd, did I say "ODOR"....
smiley36.gif
I have yet to learn that feet have odor and wine has aroma.
smiley9.gif

Waldo said:
Joan said:
"Odor"???? Don't you mean "aroma"???
smiley4.gif

My gawdddddddddddd, did I say "ODOR"....
smiley36.gif
I have yet to learn that feet have odor and wine has aroma.
smiley9.gif
Waldo! Keep your feet out of the wine!
smiley34.gif
Or at least wash them first!
smiley36.gif

WALDO'S APPLE WINE

I MADE MY LIVING GROWING APPLES FOR THE LAST 40 YEARS. I HAVE MADE LOTS OF APPLE CIDER AND THERE'S NO COMPARISON BETWEEN APPLE CIDER AND STEAMED APPLES.

I JUST FINISHED STEAMING 46 LBS OF CHERRIES TODAY. I TASTED THE JUICE WHILE IT WAS STEAMING AND IT SURE TASTED DELUTED TO ME. THINK I SHOULD HAVE MADE CHERRY JUICE INSTEAD OF STEAMING. GOING TO SET THIS JUICE BACK FOR A WHLE AND THINK ABOUT IT!

GOLDEN DELICIOUS APPLES HAVE VERY LITTLE ACID.

R.E.T.

WADEWADE
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR BLACK CURRANT.
ONLY ONE I CAN FIND IS $35.00 FOR CONCENTRATE.
THAT'S PRETTY SPENDY.

R.E.T.

Suggestions??
I have 5 gallons of apple wine that has been aging for one year in the carboy. I tasted it and it is very dry and no real flavor, just tastes like alcohol, I did stablizie it yesterday, Can I add anything before I sweeten and bottle it?????????? Thanks

Welcome to the forum flgtrn2. Stay a while and help everyone learn.

As far as the apple wine having no flavor, I'm surprised. Normally apple is full of flavors, some great and sometimes not so great. If it is too dry, it might not be letting the flavors through properly. If you don't mind your wine a little less than clear you can do the following. First- did you stabilise with K-Meta and Sorbate. If not, go ahead and do it now and let it sit a couple days. Then you can pick up a couple cans of apple concentrate. Let it thaw if frozen and come to room temperature. Add the concentrate to the carboy and mix well(remove enough from the carboy first to get it in). Also you might want to try one can first and if still not sweet enough to let the flavors through add the second. You can let it sit a week or so to make sure it doesn't start to ferment. If it doesn't then you can let it age a little more and if you want it clearer, filter it if you can. It may have a bit of a haze from the pectins in the added concentrate but should taste a whole lot better.

Good luck and again welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the info. I have found that all the fruit wines I've made ALL taste the same, My Plum/cherry/blackberry all taste just like alcohol with no real fruit flavor. I have never added anything into the wine to enhance it, I thought it would just have the natural flavoring from the fruit, I guess the key is to add the flavoring to boost the flavor? I just didnt want to add anything because I truly wanted it to be "home-made" right from the start of picking the fruit from the trees and stomping and mashing all by myself......Oh well, i guess if it takes adding a little flavor to make it taste better, I just won't tell anyone!!!!!!!!1
smiley2.gif

How much apple juice and fruit juice do you use per gallon of wine????

For may apple wine the only water added is a very small amount used to dissolve the sugar. with my fruit wine I use 3-5 pounds per gallon and always have plenty of fruit flavor.

Oh Boy, my recipes for fruit wines all call for 4.5-7 qts of water, I had 2qts of juice pressed from my apples., this was suppose to make 1 gallon of wine.....
Can I use pineapple frozen concentrate to make pineapple wine???

When I make apple wine, I press the apples and add no water. It takes about 16 pounds of apples for a gallon of pressed juice. The SG of apples alone is about 1.055-1.065, so I usually add sugar to brin it up to about 1.085.

Latest posts

Back