WineXpert VR Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
Today, I bottled a Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay that I started in August 2006. I am very pleased with the results. It is very smooth and balanced. It is not too fruity and has just enough oak. While I have not had luck with VR red wine kits due to kit taste, I am very impressed with this white wine kit. I quickly ran out of my unbottled sample (from my overflow bottle) and am now waiting for bottle shock to end so I drink some more. It'sa pretty amazing result for just over $2.00 per bottle.

Thats great dfwwino, the chardonnay does make a nice wine....Have you tried adding some oak to the VR reds, I feel it adds a lot to the flavor and body of the wines.....Good luck on this great hobby..

Here's a photoof the Chardonnay. George printed the labels for me.
Thanks George.
20070710_202432_Chardonnay.jpg
Edited by: dfwwino

Is that a grape lug or a tomato box? Whatever it makes a great display and storage rack. The labels turned out great and the wine has a beautiful golden color.
smiley32.gif

Nice pic presentation. I am glad your wine pleases you. Thats what it is all about. I agree that the VR whites make a very good wine. As you have noted the reds aren't quite as impressive although a few of them aren't bad at all. Adding oak does improve a few varietals such as the Cab but it requires a close monitoring to assure you don't over oak. I did that once and it happened a whole lot faster (around 2 weeks)than I thought it would.

I'm not too happy with the VR Cab. I keep bringing it out and trying a bottle once in a while. Maybe it is over oaked but it taste more like burnt campfire wood.

Ramona

Ramona, did you add extra oak to it? I had the same taste to mine. Burnt campfire wood describes it good. After over a year in the bottle I have noticed it is not near as noticeable as it was in the beginning. I believe I added like 3 oz of French Medium Roast. I really can't remember though.

Thanks for the compliments. Appleman, yes that is a grape lug. Last year, I purchased 3 lugs of Syrah and 1 lug of Carignan from Northern California.I was able to find a local group of winemakers who were making a group purchase. The grapes were shipped by refrigerated truck from California to Dallas Farmers Market.

smurfe said:
Nice pic presentation. I am glad your wine pleases you.
Thats what it is all about. I agree that the VR whites make a very good
wine. As you have noted the reds aren't quite as impressive although a
few of them aren't bad at all. Adding oak does improve a few varietals
such as the Cab but it requires a close monitoring to assure you don't
over oak. I did that once and it happened a whole lot faster (around 2
weeks)than I thought it would.

I just pitched the yeast for a Selections Cabernet Sauvignon last night
smiley1.gif

I don't plan to add any extra oak to it. Any experience with this
one? I assume it is better than the VR version. I plan to
bulk age at least 6 months, I don't think I'll have the fortitude to
leave it in the carboy any longer, my taste buds will get the better of
me.

BTW, I had the fastest beginning to fermentation of the three wines
I've made. I pitched at 9PM last night and I was up 6 AM this
morning, checked on it and it allready has begun. Ambient air Temp is 73
degrees, perfect!!!

My Chardonnay is bulk aging (just for a few months) and I have the Cab
in its infancy plus a handful of my first wine (Selection merlot)
bottled and being consumed.

Great Hobby, so glad I gave it a whirl. Chomping at the bit though to bottle that Chardonnay and start drinking it.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Trubador

Appleman,
Here's the label art on the sides of the lugs I purchased from Tri-Boro Fruit Co., Inc. It's just another upside of making wine, having unique shipping crates to save.

<TABLE id=Table1 borderColor=black cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center =beige border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=middle>
lugano_sm.jpg
</TD>
fantasia_sm.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
lucerne_sm.jpg
</TD>
muscatking_sm.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>
triboro_sm.jpg
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

You have some real jewels there! True lugs like those are getting harder to get all the time. Everybody seems to use cardboard anymore. Nice to see them.

Latest posts

Back