WineXpert VR Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
Today, I bottled a Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay that I started in August 2006. I am very pleased with the results. It is very smooth and balanced. It is not too fruity and has just enough oak. While I have not had luck with VR red wine kits due to kit taste, I am very impressed with this white wine kit. I quickly ran out of my unbottled sample (from my overflow bottle) and am now waiting for bottle shock to end so I drink some more. It'sa pretty amazing result for just over $2.00 per bottle.

Thats great dfwwino, the chardonnay does make a nice wine....Have you tried adding some oak to the VR reds, I feel it adds a lot to the flavor and body of the wines.....Good luck on this great hobby..

Here's a photoof the Chardonnay. George printed the labels for me.
Thanks George.
20070710_202432_Chardonnay.jpg
Edited by: dfwwino

Is that a grape lug or a tomato box? Whatever it makes a great display and storage rack. The labels turned out great and the wine has a beautiful golden color.
smiley32.gif

Nice pic presentation. I am glad your wine pleases you. Thats what it is all about. I agree that the VR whites make a very good wine. As you have noted the reds aren't quite as impressive although a few of them aren't bad at all. Adding oak does improve a few varietals such as the Cab but it requires a close monitoring to assure you don't over oak. I did that once and it happened a whole lot faster (around 2 weeks)than I thought it would.

I'm not too happy with the VR Cab. I keep bringing it out and trying a bottle once in a while. Maybe it is over oaked but it taste more like burnt campfire wood.

Ramona

Ramona, did you add extra oak to it? I had the same taste to mine. Burnt campfire wood describes it good. After over a year in the bottle I have noticed it is not near as noticeable as it was in the beginning. I believe I added like 3 oz of French Medium Roast. I really can't remember though.

Thanks for the compliments. Appleman, yes that is a grape lug. Last year, I purchased 3 lugs of Syrah and 1 lug of Carignan from Northern California.I was able to find a local group of winemakers who were making a group purchase. The grapes were shipped by refrigerated truck from California to Dallas Farmers Market.

smurfe said:
Nice pic presentation. I am glad your wine pleases you.
Thats what it is all about. I agree that the VR whites make a very good
wine. As you have noted the reds aren't quite as impressive although a
few of them aren't bad at all. Adding oak does improve a few varietals
such as the Cab but it requires a close monitoring to assure you don't
over oak. I did that once and it happened a whole lot faster (around 2
weeks)than I thought it would.

I just pitched the yeast for a Selections Cabernet Sauvignon last night
smiley1.gif

I don't plan to add any extra oak to it. Any experience with this
one? I assume it is better than the VR version. I plan to
bulk age at least 6 months, I don't think I'll have the fortitude to
leave it in the carboy any longer, my taste buds will get the better of
me.

BTW, I had the fastest beginning to fermentation of the three wines
I've made. I pitched at 9PM last night and I was up 6 AM this
morning, checked on it and it allready has begun. Ambient air Temp is 73
degrees, perfect!!!

My Chardonnay is bulk aging (just for a few months) and I have the Cab
in its infancy plus a handful of my first wine (Selection merlot)
bottled and being consumed.

Great Hobby, so glad I gave it a whirl. Chomping at the bit though to bottle that Chardonnay and start drinking it.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Trubador

Appleman,
Here's the label art on the sides of the lugs I purchased from Tri-Boro Fruit Co., Inc. It's just another upside of making wine, having unique shipping crates to save.

<TABLE id=Table1 borderColor=black cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center =beige border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=middle>
lugano_sm.jpg
</TD>
fantasia_sm.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
lucerne_sm.jpg
</TD>
muscatking_sm.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=middle colSpan=2>
triboro_sm.jpg
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

You have some real jewels there! True lugs like those are getting harder to get all the time. Everybody seems to use cardboard anymore. Nice to see them.

Back