Votes needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night, a buddy of mine came over and gave me 5 gallons of pressed apple juice.

Since I have little experience with making fruit wines (other than grape), I figured that I would ask you folks to "ring-in" with what recipes you prefer for apple wine.

I right now have it dosed with k-meta and am keeping it very cold.

johnT.

You could "delicate white" it, by going with an aromatic/estery yeast, keeping it cool & finish it anywhere from dry to sweet

Could make it a little more robust with some tannins or something like opti-white, and pair it with a more mouthfeel-based yeast, and go the "apple pie" route with cinnamon, vanilla, etc.. These are usually finished a little on the sweeter end

You could "Port" it if you wanted to spike it with some brandy - that can work in well with the apple pie type wine as well

Could toss some jalapenos in a gallon of it, if you wanted some cooking wine / "Here, try this"...

Sometimes pears can help flesh out the flavor profile of apple, as well..

Food for thought :)

For apple wine - honestly - I love mine spiced with cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves (very little).

Apple wine

IF I WANTED TO ACCENT THE WINE, I WOULD TRY THE CINNAMON AND THE CLOVES THAT'S OK BUT THAT IS MOST FOR A HOLIDAY WINE,AND THAT IN IT'S OWN RIGHT IS GOOD,BUT TO IMPROVE THE WINES NATURAL CHARACTERISTICS I WOULD USE A APPLE CONCENTRATE ,FROZEN JUICE IF YOU WILL.OR TAKE A DIFFERENT APPROACH,TAKE 5LBS OF APPLES AND STEAM JUICE THEM,IF NO STEAMER,CUT THEM IN CHUNKS AND COOK THEM DOWN WITH VERY LITTLE WATER ,LET THEM COOL AND PLACE IT IS A BLENDER IF YOU HAVE ONE,TAKE THE MIXTURE AND PLACE THAT DIRECTLY INTO THE WINE,DO NOT OVER PROCESS THE APPLE WINE ,IT WILL TURN OUT BLAND,USE A MILD YEAST TO START WITH LOW ABV. TYPE CHECK LALVINS CHART.............................:dg

Low ABV, white yeast and, believe it or not, I like a handful of med toast american oak chips in the primary.

IME, apple turns out delicate in flavor and light in body.

I want to make another batch of apple pie wine like Winemaker above mentioned. I didn't put ginger or cloves in mine, but cinnamon sticks and a little bit of nutmeg will make apple juice taste like apple pie. It's one wine I actually enjoy warmed up in a mug on a cold fall day.

Hey John, PM me with your address and I'll send ya a bottle. If you like it you can have the recipe, if you don't I'll still give ya the recipe and you will know what you don't want to make. The juice will last fine if you keep it cold. Arne.

I am making a real nice tasting Hard Cider, I would add the cinnamon sticks, taste it daily and remove it when you can just taste the cinnamon, just a hint of it, not over powering and it won't resemble a "strictly for the holidays" cider, if you'd like the recipe, shoot me a message.
Tom

I made 5 gallon of apple wine last fall from pure apple juice that was freshly squeezed. I did not add any water at all at any step of the process. Everything is perfect about the wine except I wish I could taste more apple. If I were to do it over again I think that I would go for a lower ABV (mine was about 14%) and I would go with a larger flavor pack at the end. I used two cans of frozen apple juice concentrate for 5 gallons and I should probably have done more. I have almost finished up one 12 bottle case so far so it is not like that the wine is not good, I just think I could make it better next time. I did not make any apple this year because I have made so much wine this year that I have totally run out of room and equipment. I will try to save the remaining apple to see what it taste like in another 12 months.

BobF said:
Low ABV, white yeast and, believe it or not, I like a handful of med toast american oak chips in the primary.

IME, apple turns out delicate in flavor and light in body.

Never thought about adding oak in the primary! Will definitely have to try that...

Poorman, Mine has a high ABV as well, we enjoy this because we are use to a buddy giving us a gallon of Apple Jack last season, I've already added a can of frozen juice concentrate, and I think that I'll get a few more cans tomorrow, the higher alcohol definitely over powers the apple flavor a little bit.
Bob, the Oak sounds real nice, I really enjoy oak in the bold reds that I am making, I might have to make another batch just to try it out.

Hey for those of you adding cinnamon, etc...at what stage are you adding the extras? Primary or secondary? And do you leave it in for the whole time, or just enough to get the flavor of the spices out?

I add my "extras" to the primary during fermentation, I only leave the cinnamon in until it reaches a level that I enjoy and that will not over power anything.
as for the Oak, I added 1/2 of an American Oak Infusion stick, medium roast.....WOW!!!! It really rounds it off and adds depth and mouth feel, it doesn't taste like the average hard cider anymore, great call on that Bob!!!
My wife is already talking about making a second batch...I guess someone has plans to drink a little bit...lol!

Back