VINTNERS HARVEST FRUIT BASES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JW the flavor is kind of like....... well almost like..... it's very.......... Aw shoot for lack of better words, it's unique. I suppose it tastes like currants! At any rate it is delightfully sweet/tart.

We enjoyed the wine so much we ordered some Black Currant bushes, some Josta Berry bushes [Currant X Gooseberry] and some Gooseberry bushes....and...more bushes....

Wish we would have ordered more Currants. but can start some cuttings or try to pick up more plants during the summer.

A freind says he has access to Red Currants, don't know how those would be, but will give them a try.

We have some big Currant bushes growing, but looked them up and they were Alpine Currants...guess they are ornamentals and have berries the size of B-B's...darn it!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

I think this fruit is one of the best wine making fruits there is. It has so much flavor and body and bite.

I agree wade. I am finding too that it makes a good blender. I have a batch of Currant/Muscadine that is proving to be very good also. I blended some with theCampbells Earlyand it made a tremendous difference in it.Edited by: Waldo

NW, we are in zone 6. I have some Jostas that are 3 years old and havent seen but 2 berries and they get some wierd leaf disease that the other currants havent gotten, have seen several reports that they are dissapointing also, if mine dont put out berries this year out they go. Noursefarms.com sells a commercial variety of black currants called Titania, as well as other nurseries. So far it has done well. The smell and taste of uncooked black currants is much stronger than the fruit bases. They also have red currant bushes that make a very nice wine also.

Those dried black currant zante grape raisans do add some nice body.

Crackedcork

Cracked Cork said:
NW, we are in zone 6. I have some Jostas that are 3 years old and havent seen but 2 berries and they get some wierd leaf disease that the other currants havent gotten, have seen several reports that they are dissapointing also, if mine dont put out berries this year out they go. Noursefarms.com sells a commercial variety of black currants called Titania, as well as other nurseries. So far it has done well. The smell and taste of uncooked black currants is much stronger than the fruit bases. They also have red currant bushes that make a very nice wine also.

Those dried black currant zante grape raisans do add some nice body.

Crackedcork

Disappointing news about the Josta Berry...being as they are a cross between the Currant and Gooseberry do you think it could be a Gooseberry disease sneaking in there????

Here is a little information booklet, you may have all the information you need, but this might help out with the Gooseberry diseases....

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/pdf/A1960.pdf

It is information on growing Currants, Gooseberries and Elderberries in Wisconsin....It will print into a little booklet using double sided printing.

I am going to read about Gooseberry diseases and plan an attack.

I grow some Juneberries [Service Berries, Saskatoons] so far I haven't eaten a berry off those bushes...
smiley19.gif
They bloom and set fruit...then the fruit gets like a funky-fungus on them...I hate to spray, but think I will try some fungicide on them this year....Any suggestions????

Latest posts

Back