VINTNERS HARVEST FRUIT BASES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
We are very thrilled with the taste of the Vintners Harvest Black Currant Fruit Base Wine...Thanks Guys!!!!...you are right...it is one of the best wines we have made....

The Blackberry seems pretty good too, tho I wasn't impressed with the fruit to water [juice] ratio that was in the can....but the wine is coming along nicely.

I added WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate to both these wines...because I just do that to all the fruit wines I make...I have a bad habit of not following recipes....but it seems to work out for the best.

Anyway...I am going to place another order for more Black Currant and might beef it up with some dried Black Currants [or what they called dried Black Currants]

I am thinking about ordering the Vintners Harvest Blueberry Fruit Base as well [Wild Blueberries are not a yearly sure-crop around here...have to drive miles, beat off the mosquitoes, deer flies, wood ticks, fire ants and risk the possibility of getting lost] So...figure a bumper crop in the can is worth the price...

smiley25.gif
What are your opinions of the Blueberry fruit base...is it watery like the Blackberry????Or more full bodied like the black Currant????

Glad you liked the Black Currant NW..Can't help you on the Blueberry as I have not tried it but will be interested to find out the same info you are seeking

Really excited about the Black Currant...but have to tell myself that I have to use up my own juices before spring...still have enough juices in mason jars to make a batch of each....Raspberry, Strawberry, Crabapple, Chokecherry, Grape and Sparkling Apple, then have Chokecherries in the freezer for yet another batch...got to get busy...makin' and drinkin'...ain't life grand????

Same here, dont know about the blueberry. Im glad you liked the black currant. Everyone who has tried it has liked it! So I always recommend it!

I have the Raspberry and the Cherry bulk aging though. The raspberry has a nice flavor as does the Cherry. The Raspberry's fruit was mush though and the Cherry was loaded with pits. Dont know if they left the pits for tannins or if they just didnt depit them to loose money?

Interesting...seems they vary with each fruit...have to keep track of which seems to be the best value.

The pits in the Cherry product would for sure add volume and save them some money...is the wine nice???

I tasted my Cherry Wine made from various store bought juices and it seemed really nice...am anxious to rack it again and get another tease-taste of that one....

The Black Currant is for sure another on the 'must-do' for 2007 list....Thanks for the heads-up on that particular product.

Yes they both have a really nice taste. I want to try the Boysenberry and plum next.

NW, if you make a batch ofitI would be interested in the results. I have thought about it, but might wait until July or August to get the cultivated ones in the field. The VR cherry and VR raspberry in carboys are coming along real well.

Flyboy, you have both in carboys too! Did you have a ton of pits also?

I really cannot remember. I do remember the stems were still attached to the cherries.

NW.are those 3-gallon batches or 5-gallon,,,And how many black currant cans did you use for your mix..........

I also wanna make a black currant 5-gallon batch.......My 6-gallon blueberry batch is coming along nicely........

I made a 5 gallon batch...I didn't follow the 5 gallon recipe on the can, it sounded like it would be too much water.

I added two 500 mil of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate...and the usual wine additives, as well as oak to the secondary....It has really turned out to be a nice wine, will be one of our favortes...I will do it again.

I had read that some members were using two cans per 5 or 6 gallon batch...You could add some raisins, dried currants, or some black currant juice as part of the water to beef it up a bit....

Keep us Posted on the method and recipe you choose...Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks NW...I will be ordering 2-cans black currant vintners harvest fruit base..and make a 5-gallon batch......will do on the posting.....

el wino said:
Oh.do you remember your starting S.G...

My recipe...
- 1 can Vintners Harvest Fruit Base
- 2 500mil WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate
- 9# sugar
- 5 Campden tablets
- 4 tsp acid blend
- 3 tsp liquid tannin

Water to 5 gallons [plus a little bottle for topping off]...S.G. 1.090

Next day...
- 2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
- 5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
- 3 tsp Yeast Energizer
EC-1118 Yeast

It has great flavor...I am sure yours will have more body....You could probably make 6 gallons with the 2 cans and have a really good wine... The currants have a flavor of their own and had plenty of body in my 5 gallon batch adding the grape concentrate...Edited by: Northern Winos

el wino,
I think I would make 1 can per 5 gallon batch if I do the currant over again, which I will. I used 2 cans in 6 gallons. I don't have the figures here right now for SG, but the currant base didn't add as much as you would expect- certainly not like grape concentrate. The two cans brought it to about 1.060 if I remember right and I added 12 pounds sugar to bring it up to 1.100. I used
Premiere Cuvee yeast,
2 Cans VH Black Currant Base
7 cans water
1/4 tsp K-Meta
5 tsp Acid Blend
2 TBS Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
4 Tsp Bentonite
Ended up at .990 SG
Degassed and added 1 Tbsp sorbate
1/4 tsp K-Mata
After three days I added 2 cups more sugar(in a syrup)

I racked it again today and it is very good, just about the right sweetness for just about everyone. To me there is too much Black Currant flavor. I honestly think 1 can base in 5 gallons would be better.

Whatever way you make it, it is sure to be good!
smiley4.gif

well O.K.then,,,1 can it is..for 5-gallons...i'll add the grape concentrate.I will be ordering it this week..........

Well i have ordered the can of Vintners black currant.I will be starting it when I get it in...probably monday.........thanks for the recipes..

This does sound good, Appleman, NW, what would you compare the flavor to? If anything ,I suppose. Now to decide which recipe to follow!One question, when adding sugar, do you invert the sugar first , or are you adding it granulated? Thanks

Latest posts

Back