Vinbrite Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddle68

Junior
Reaction score
I am about to use a Vinbrite for the first time on a batch of Winexpert Angel Blanco.

My question is; Do I need to rack my wine off of the sediment, then filter it into another carboy before bottling?

This seems like a lot of work to get from carboy to filter to bottle.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions or experience to share?

The reason I want to filter, besides the obvious, is I still have a couple rogue elderflowers floating at the top. I also have never filtered before and my last batch of Moscato made me wishing I had.

Thanks

I do not all the details _but I would definitely rack before filtering.

I would let it sit a bit longer before filtering - just to make sure that all sediment has dropped out prior to polishing your wine .

Filters are for finishing wine. So, it should be as clear as can be, and then you filter it. Rack, and then rack again, repeat, etc ... and then you can filter.

Definitely rack off the sediment before filtering. Those little filter pads will plug in no time if you try to filter off sediment and accidentally stir any at all up.

Like others have said, any fines, including dust on the bottom will plug a Vinbrite in no time. For that reason as well as easily torn filters from slight over tightening of the housing (which allows your wine to flow right through the little tear) I switched to a whole house filter setup with vacuum pump.

Back