Variation in Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a Sauvignon Blanc last year that came out crisp and full-flavored. Very bold for a white, really. I hope my Gewurtztraminer comes out just as good this year. The reds are looking very good. Along with the 'G', last year's Chilean group included an award winning (thank you very much!) Cabernet Sauvignon and a delightful Syrah that was the favorate of my red wine loving friends/family. I have not been disappointed with an outcome...yet.

I am planning on getting some California juices this Fall so I can compare the quality up north to the goodness down south.

John--Yeah, it was a Chardonney and there was NO flavor---like I said, it was similar to drinking a glass of water. Like Julie, we prefer Calif juice for whites. The reds from Chille are better than the whites.

Last edited:
John--Yeah, it was a Chardonney and there was NO flavor---like I said, it was similar to drinking a glass of water. Like Julie, we prefer Calif juice for whites. The reds from Chille are better than the whites.

I think this is a common complaint about juice pails. My younger brother made some wine from some buckets, and yup, to me it tastes like water.
It would be interesting to add some tannin to his wine and see the difference it makes.

I think you have to START with juice that TASTES like something to start with!! There's only one person I know of who could turn water into wine. The rest of us need to start with juice of quality.

I agree.... This year I tried a 50/50 with grapes and juice. If I still do not get the results I am looking for... I am done with Chilean wines. Kinda hard to be satisfied with them after making wine from the Valley of CA each fall.... How they say.... Once you drive a Cadillac You will never be satisfied with a Impala again!

Sam

I've always made my reds with one grape pack. Last year I tried using just raisins and was actually quite pleased with the results. Like I said earlier, I don't think I will ever do any whites again

Just tasted my Chilean Barbera and Carmenere from juice buckets this year, both of which are going through mlf right now, and I have to say, for a beginner home winemaker, so far I am happy with the early progress. The Barbera is quite fruity while the Carmenere, which I fermented with 3oz of medium toast Hungarian cubes, has an earthy/oaky flavor to it. Both obviously are very young, and I plan on aging for a year or so. But, overall I am satisfied with the early results and flavor difference thus far.

Just curious as to how others 2014 Chilean wines are progressing? I tasted mine again last night and the Barbera is coming along nicely. The Carmenere was just ok as a lot of the oak has faded out, so I might add some more Hungarian oak med toast cubes. Both wines are promising. I'm only at about the 6 month mark for aging so another six to go.

Last edited:
Bottled mid October, we have gone through almost a case of the zin so far, so I guess that one didn't turn out bad. Have to bottle the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The juice buckets can be viewed as a "pig-in-the-poke", but generally (and from personal experience), they can be counted on to produce a palatable if not satisfying product. There's a whole slew of other influences involved before you even start sipping, so if you take the leap of faith that the juices would be as if you pressed your own, the determining factor for quality that weighs heaviest would be regional climate for that particular year. I often try to find this out before placing my orders. For example, I expect my Cab-Sauv and Pinot Noir from California this fall to turn out an excellent product. Given that my processing is consistant with all of my wines! It was a very dry year in CA this growing season. Point is, it is kind of hard to pin a less-than-satisfactory result on a bucket.

I racked my Chilean Carmenere last night and took a taste. Starting to come around very nicely. My wife had a taste as well and was surprised over the difference some time has made to it. Alot of the bitterness is fading and a nice flavor is starting to come through. This was one of my first juice buckets and I am looking forward to the transformation over the next few months. Witnessing the benefits of bulk aging over time is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Anyone recently bottle your 2014 Chilean wine? Just curious as I may bottle some this weekend. Tastes pretty good.

I have 10 gallons of Cab/Merlot that are being rotated through a 6 gallon barrel. It'll be done in early May and I'll bottle about a month later. It's coming around nicely so far though.

Amongst it all, has anyone paid any attention to the Chilean weather? Cali being in a drought for the last decade or so, I'm sure it's top notch juice more times than not.. but what's Chile experiencing?

If it's milder or wetter weather, there's not much anyone can do about it really. 2012 sounds like a genuine vintage, but not every year is, and I think this thread is a testament to that more than anything else

Racked my Chilean barbera over the weekend and it is ready to bottle. Gonna test SO2 over the weekend, adjust if necessary, and bottle. This should free up a carboy to hopefully do a dragons blood prior to the Chilean juice/grapes this spring.

Anyone recently bottle your 2014 Chilean wine? Just curious as I may bottle some this weekend. Tastes pretty good.

Just bottled my Chilean Shiraz from last May and I'm liking it. Can't wait to see if some time in the bottle makes any difference. :h

Racked my Chilean barbera over the weekend and it is ready to bottle. Gonna test SO2 over the weekend, adjust if necessary, and bottle. This should free up a carboy to hopefully do a dragons blood prior to the Chilean juice/grapes this spring.

Going to check my MLF again this weekend, hopefully something is actually working. Early samples are promising. I'll be planning on bottling then of April if all is good with MLF. I will have free carboys as I'll be transferring the Muscadine to the 14 gallon demijohns for longer aging.

Bottled my Pinot Gris a couple weeks ago. Flavor is very very good, made from 2014 Chilean juice. We are happy with it.

pinot gris burgundy bottle.jpg

Recently bottled last spring's Chilean 1)Malbec- a month on 1# dried black currant- final .996sg
2)Barbera-a month on 1/2# dried cherries and oak stick. final .993sg
3)Zinfandel- month on 1/2# dried cherries. final .993sg
Ordering Carmenere and Petit Syrah this year (Chilean buckets)

Latest posts

Back