Variation in Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a significant variation in Chilean juices from year to year? I suppose that vintages can vary quite a bit and I am not condemning Chilean juice. However, I made a number of wines from 2012 juice and they were really special. I have since made wine from the 2013 and 2014 vintages and they do not seem the same level to me. The wines are thinner and lacking distinctive varietal tastes. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.

I felt that way about the 2012 vintage. I belong to a wine club that went together and purchased over 200 buckets. None of us enjoyed the juice bucket experience or how the wine came out. In defense of the buckets, I will add that nobody added any extra grapes to them.

I would like to try again, but every time I suggest it I am nearly shouted down. Maybe some time. There are no distributors locally, I wish there were.

I can't really say about bucket juice, but the fresh fruit has been rather consistent. This year, however, the PH was much higher than most years.

I have noticed a bid difference from year to year. My 2012 malbec was really good. Although it's finally starting to mature, my 2013 was no where near as good. The 2014 seems to be better
One thing I noticed a huge difference in was the Merlot. This year, it has a very pronounced BlackBerry flavor. Real curious to see how it will develop.

Last edited:
Yes, we've had issues too. A Chard was about the same as drinking a glass of water!!! It's hard to know if they diluted the juice or had a significant rain before harvest as the reason for the dilution. We've been sticking with the bold-flavored reds and have better results. It's always a problem getting juice or grapes from far-away climes where you don't follow the weather patterns before harvest.

There are some of us who have been talking about this very issue. Particularly the whites. The reds don't seem too bad but the whites just don't have any zip to them. I have taken a gallon of 2013 Sauv Blanc and added FT Rouge Soft Tannin, it needs to sit for a few more weeks and will see if that does not improve the wine. But at this point I am sticking with California and moving away from Chilean.

Turock/Julie,

Just curious (having never done any white Chilean), do you remember the PH, TA, and Brix of the juice before you started?

johnT.

HI John

I am working my first buckets ever right now. I got them this spring, and have several chilean whites including Muscato, pinot grigio, and Gewurtztraminer. They had initial testing levels of Muscato SG 1.085 3.03 PH, Pinot grigio SG 1.090 3.02 PH, Gewurtztraminer SG 1.090 2.74 PH. Sorry, didn't check TA. Anyway, I did lots of tweaks adding frozen fruits from my garden etc. I even admit to some golden raisins. Anyway, mine have quickly mellowed into some very nice stuff that I eagerly sample at each racking. I have no complaints other than it took some work to deal with the 2.74 PH, esp since I added gooseberries to that one. Thought I'd toss my numbers into the arena in case they help anybody come up with a theory or two.

Pam in cinti

Turock/Julie,

Just curious (having never done any white Chilean), do you remember the PH, TA, and Brix of the juice before you started?

johnT.

John, I'll check when I get home but I believe the brix was 22, TA .65% and I just do not remember the PH but I will check once I am home.

Does anyone have access to a fall bucket order form? I just did lots of searches trying to find one and while they are mentioned I could not find one to look at. I'd like to know what probable varieties are available at that time and of course input from folks with experience with each kind would be great! I'm liking what I'm doing now, but should be ready for more by fall.

thanks for any help

Pam in cinti

Does anyone have access to a fall bucket order form? I just did lots of searches trying to find one and while they are mentioned I could not find one to look at. I'd like to know what probable varieties are available at that time and of course input from folks with experience with each kind would be great! I'm liking what I'm doing now, but should be ready for more by fall.

thanks for any help

Pam in cinti

I think I have an old one from last year at home, Pam. If so, I'll pm it to you.

Also, one of the things I noticed was my 2012 Riesling was California and my 2012 Riesling was Chilean. The Chilean was much darker than the California and the California has a much better flavor.

Thanks John and Julie for the info. When I got 5 buckets in spring I never thought I'd want to do more in fall, but I'm sure you understand how it goes. I know it's weird to mix home grown fruit into it, but I have all this great fruit and it's so easy to kick the bucket up a notch, and it makes it wine no one else can offer. As long as I like how it turns out, I'm a winner all around.

Sounds like it will be Chardonney, Sav Blanc, and maybe a Carmenere for me. I keep hearing how wonderful Carmenere is, and I like to try new things. Gotta make something aimed at keeping the red drinkers happy.

Pam in cinti

I got five different reds this Spring, and they are each distinct in flavor. They were all tweeked with oaks and grape skins. I look forward to each tasting. They are becoming very good!

The lone white---the Gewurtztraminer---was tweeked with peaches in the primary and extra finishing tannins, so I can't comment on how it might have truned out if left to itself.

Dave like you, I am happy with my reds. I get Zin, Malbec and this year Mike bought a Sangiovese this year. I am interested in the results of your Gewurtztraminer. I really think the problem is tannins that is why I added some to a gallon jug.

I'll let you know, Julie. The great thing about finishing tannins is that you can add them any time during the bulk aging process. I added some, but if it needs another boost, I can still do that.

I know, I am really starting to enjoy the finishing tannins. I am tasting a huge improvement on my wines.

Interesting thread. This is my first experience with Chilean juice buckets. Right now I have a Barbera and Carmenere going through mlf. I have yet to taste either yet but plan to do so once mlf is complete. I am hopeful each express their own distinct flavors of their variety.

Me, too, Juile. It was the thread on tannins that got me started. I've even been adding some to my wife's Mist kits with great results. She loves the improved texture of the wines, and even noticed an improvement of the symptoms of her fibromyalgia due to the anti-inflamitory qualities of the tannins.

Win-win!

I have been disappointed with all the whites I've made so I did all reds this year. 2 malbec 2 Merlot, 2 zins and 2 cab sauvs

Back