using a micro butane torch for shrink tops??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So I will be labeling and hopefully shrink topping my first bottled batch tomorrow. Corked on Saturday, so I think 36 hours is ok to turn on it's side now. I know a heat gun is recommended but I haven't ordered one yet. I know I can use boiling water but a little nervous about inverting the bottle and the top not shrinking properly or possibly getting water under it? I have a small butane torch that I have used for shrinking PVC for car audio wire connections and wondering if I might be able to use this if I was carefuly for the shrink tops or if the open flame is too risky. The flame is very small, like 1.5" long.

I have a small butane torch that I have used for shrinking PVC for car audio wire connections and wondering if I might be able to use this if I was carefuly for the shrink tops or if the open flame is too risky. The flame is very small, like 1.5" long.

Not a chance. They are way to delicate. Without a heat gun, go with the boiling water with no worries. As you tip the bottle into the pot hold the capsule on with a spool or other utensil.

+1

Remember you have ~30 bottles to do even if it did work you would go through a boatload of cartridges. Perhaps enough to pay for an inexpensive heat gun (they can be had for cheap these days)

Heat gun or boiling water (as a last resort)!

the nice thing about the boiling water method is that it covers the bottle with a light covering of steam that you can then wipe off with a dry towel and clean off any wine or sanitizing solution.

Tried hairdryer, not nearly hot enough (even on high).
Tried boiling water, worked but made a mess.

Then I picked up a $10 heat gun from Harbor Freight, works perfectly on low. If you turn it to high and get too close, it will start melting through--I imagine a butane torch would do this as well.

A mini heat gun from the craft store will do ya good. I think mine was about 10-12 bucks

Angle downward and spin the bottle and it shrinks up real well.

Well, all is done. Hair dryer worked but tons of wrinkles, quite unacceptable. Second tried the boiling water. Steam was not quite hot or direct enough (even when using a cover with a steam hole on top). Eventually tried dipping the hole top into the water and shrunk very uniformly and nicely, however it took the gold color off the foil top (made it silver). I looked over at the rice cooker my wife has going and noticed a nice hot direct steam vent. AMAZING. The best idea ever. Whenever I need to do shrink tops I am just making rice. VERY hot and very direct steam without getting condensation all over the bottle like when dipping in boiling pot. I don't even feel the need to ever buy a heat gun. Here's the finished product.
02.jpg

01.jpg

IMG_5076.jpg

Do a Google search for "Wine Capsule Fast Seal Tool" (without quotes). It's a 2-in-1 tool that holds capsules on bottle for a quick dip into boiling water to shrink it. Keeps you from burning your fingers and capsule shrinks tight in 2 seconds flat. I've never had it discolor any of the foil or tops. The tool also removes the caps from the juice bags of wine kits. For around $5, you can't beat it.

Lookin good. I might have dipped the bottle into the hot rice. I use a heat gun on low, but I don't put any caps on until I'm ready to gift the bottle. My wine rack is full of uncapped bottles.

Richard L.

I think the boiling water is honestly the fastest and most uniform. I saw zero wrinkles or inconsistencies in the top, but I don't really like how it takes the gold color off the foil. I would use this method only if it weren't for the discoloring. It's SO fast.

Is there a worry when using the boiling water method (thermal cracking)?

I normally do not use sleaves or labels. I keep al my wine in bins with "bottle neck" tags. This way spent bottles only need to be rinsed (3 times) in hot water and we are good to go again.

BTW, Shockwave, I really like your labels.

Latest posts

Back