University Graduation: Green Wine, is it possible?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jify

Reaction score
Howdy Folks!

I've be chatting with a few friends about our up and coming University graduation. We are all enrolled within an Environmental Engineering program within Alberta (going on 4-5 years for most of us) and we were wondering, is there any fruit/concentrate combination that will allow me to create a green coloured wine for our Graduation Party.

Graduation is in 3-4 months, so it would have to be drinkable by then. I was thinking it would be...

-A type of Skeeter Pee brew
-Probably sweetened and started with some sort of green-juice concentrate
-Bottled with green caps, labels etc.

Does anyone know any wine recipes that yield a green wine, or any juice concentrates that would turn a white/light wine green during back-sweetening?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

(Yes I know, I'd probably get along better with some St. Paddies type beer, but I'll leave that for the proper holiday!)

-Travis

Maybe something like this? It's a lime Skeeter Pee. Tastey, easy to drink, likes to be well chilled, broad appeal, can be bottled in single servings, and is fairly dangerous.

100_2897.jpg

I have a green wine that was made from spearmint candy, If you used that for a SP starter that might be interesting.

Maybe something like this? It's a lime Skeeter Pee. Tastey, easy to drink, likes to be well chilled, broad appeal, can be bottled in single servings, and is fairly dangerous.

100_2897.jpg

Lon that looks amazing! Could I steal that recipe from you? :)

Lon that looks amazing! Could I steal that recipe from you? :)

You bet, you'll find most of what you need at my website skeeterpee.com

This batch was made following the basic recipe, but I did exchange lime juice for the last bottle of lemon juice. Once it was finished, stabilized, and cleared, I sweetened it and added one packet of lemon-lime unsweetened powdered drink mix (a cheap-o packet of koolaid). It was enough to bump the color and threw in a bit more lime flavor. It was a 6 gallon finished batch, so the flavor impact was small.

If you're using a slurry to start your batch, make sure it's from a white type wine. If you make it with a red, you might carry too much pink into the finished product and you won't get a nice green.

If I make a starter with a can of White Grape juice concentrate, think that might work? I don't have any white slurries on the horizon.

Did you still follow through with the full 6 cups of sugar? Or did you add the flavour and aim for a SG of ~1.010?

Thanks again for the help! Can't wait to get this started! (soon as the black cherry is bottled this weekend!)

If I make a starter with a can of White Grape juice concentrate, think that might work? I don't have any white slurries on the horizon.

Did you still follow through with the full 6 cups of sugar? Or did you add the flavour and aim for a SG of ~1.010?

Thanks again for the help! Can't wait to get this started! (soon as the black cherry is bottled this weekend!)

You can make the white starter. I would mix it up and let it ferment a few days until it's really going and you're starting to get some sediment on the bottom. Then dump it in.

I did sweeten per the recipe, the lime is tart enough that it takes it well. You can always go add slowly and stop when you think it's right for you.

Howdy Lon!

Skeeter Pee tastes great. Just finished sweetening everything up. Will likely be doing a lot of bottling in the upcoming weeks. I followed your recipe and included 1.5 packages of lime koolaid mix with the sugar!

Took a quick picture. The 2nd carboy I sweetened with some berry concentrate (hence the deep deep red colour). Both are SP!

2dig51s.jpg

Edit: Jeez, forgot to say thanks! Thanks!

yeah go with Lon's idea. :) I'll be starting some in a couple of weeks.
Looks great by the way!

Last edited:
i have always admired and been curious about Lon and his skeeter pee....some day Lon i am gonna try what you created...and you never have been selfish about your creation..i admire and respect that...and you did it intuitively from what i can determine

That's some Mean Green Skeeter Pee! I just published the updates to the website today, so have a look when you get a chance. When you get some of that green SP bottled, get a good picture and send it to me. I'd love to post it on the website along with your reasoning behind the batch. A few more changes to the website are coming yet. Skeeter Pee Website

Howdy Folks!
Does anyone know any wine recipes that yield a green wine, or any juice concentrates that would turn a white/light wine green during back-sweetening?
-Travis

In Georgia, We use tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus)to make green beverage Tarhun or you can use it's cousin Artemisia absinthium which is used for flavouring in some spirits, (absinthe for example)
thumb_Tarxun__zelenyi.jpg

Latest posts

Back