Quantcast

Thank you everyone. My first wine.

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

TX Wineaux

Junior
Reaction score
I think I found my new favorite hobby! After much research on this forum and purchasing the necessary equipment / supplies, I made my very first wine. I thought it would be fun for my first one to be Dave's Dragons Blood after reading all the rave reviews. I skipped all the lemon juice and opted for Acid Blend instead (Dragonette) with 12lbs of frozen berries. Back-sweetened with 4 cups of sugar and three cans of frozen triple berry concentrate. Also added 2 1/2 ounces of glycerine after filtering with 1 micron. My wife and I were blown away with how good it was and we are looking forward to seeing how it changes over time in the bottle.

I learned a lot during this process and had a blast doing it. THANKS TO EVERYONE who has shared your experiences on this forum for others to read and learn. I thought it would be best to first read and research, rather than ask a lot of questions, which is why I haven't commented much on here. Now that I have one under my belt I may start chiming in more.

The biggest lesson I learned throughout this little venture was to be patient and trust the process. I created a quick label and decided to change the wine's name to be more fitting for my experience; "Patience".

I Immediately started a wine kit while I degassed, stabilized, and fined my DB. The kit should ferment dry by tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. On deck is a blackberry and then a tropical. I need more ideas.

I also wanted to give a shout out to Steve with the All In One Wine Pump. Degassing, filtering, bottling, and the headspace eliminator was the best. Racking and degassing was a blast and I kind of hated to see all the Co2 go, ha ha.

Here are a couple photos of my finished product. Mine is a little darker than others. I'm assuming it's because of the 12 lbs of triple berries and the addition of the concentrate for back-sweetening.

Thanks again to all the experienced wine makers who have shared their experiences for others to learn.
8080D468-8735-4A0E-B289-7D2BA73B4232.jpeg494FC5B0-45C4-418A-A179-0C29ACB8194C.jpeg

Bossbaby

Junior
Reaction score
that's awsome! I'm also patiently waiting on my first ever batches of elderberry In 5gal, BlackBerry in 2 gal and peach in 1 gal, it's been interesting to learn the ins and outs of wine and this site has been a lot of help. Good luck with your next batches!

TX Wineaux

Junior
Reaction score
Thank you, and yes it has been very interesting, especially when others like what you made. A buddy stopped by and we drank a bottle and he left with three bottles. I can tell this will not last long so I'm going to hide a few to let them age a couple months and see what they're like. Time to start another batch!

TX Wineaux

Junior
Reaction score
I put away 3 bottles and planned on opening at 3, 6, and 12 months. I wasn't sure if 18 months would make any noticeable change but now I will hide a 4th bottle and try it, Thanks. I will have plenty of other stuff to share with friends so it shouldn't be too hard to hide 4 bottles and keep the thieves away.

Old Corker

Phil
Reaction score
Congrats from TX on kicking off your new hobby. Also, congrats for finding this forum. The exchange of experience, ideas and humor is priceless.
I will have plenty of other stuff to share with friends so it shouldn't be too hard to hide 4 bottles and keep the thieves away.
And in the future we'll see how funny this quote is.

Cheers