Hello Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SM3

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new to making wine. I have some experience in related hobbies, I have successfully made 2 small batches of mead, and I have brewed a couple dozen beers over the years. Just decided a few days ago to go all in on wine. Luckily I have a fair selection of equipment that Im pretty sure will translate over. I have a 14 gallon Spike Brewing stainless conical, a 10 gallon Ss Brewtech brite tank, 3.5 brew bucket and a 7 gallon brew bucket also by Ss Brewtech. All of the filtration gear etc. One of my goals is to make an unoaked full body red that is passable. The wife has loved reds like Merlot, Malbec etc forever, a couple of years ago she developed that dreaded red wine headache after just one glass. After doing a lot of reading on the subject, it appears to be a common issue and can be related to the tannins produced by oak aging. So going to give that a try. Other than that,m to just produce a bottle of wine thats a little better than your typical budget grocery store wine ( barefoot etc). Looking forward to learning from all of you!

Fairly new here myself. I've been making wine for about 13 years and am in northeast Florida for the last 7. For years my wife could not drink a dry red wine. Dry white was good unless it was a chardonnay. Finally realized that she had an aversion to oak. Can't get it past her nose. Loves unoaked chardonnay. Now when I make a red I reserve about half to age on oak and the the rest I bottle unoaked for her. Happy wife happy life 😉

Hello everyone, Im new to making wine. I have some experience in related hobbies, I have successfully made 2 small batches of mead, and I have brewed a couple dozen beers over the years. Just decided a few days ago to go all in on wine. Luckily I have a fair selection of equipment that Im pretty sure will translate over. I have a 14 gallon Spike Brewing stainless conical, a 10 gallon Ss Brewtech brite tank, 3.5 brew bucket and a 7 gallon brew bucket also by Ss Brewtech. All of the filtration gear etc. One of my goals is to make an unoaked full body red that is passable. The wife has loved reds like Merlot, Malbec etc forever, a couple of years ago she developed that dreaded red wine headache after just one glass. After doing a lot of reading on the subject, it appears to be a common issue and can be related to the tannins produced by oak aging. So going to give that a try. Other than that,m to just produce a bottle of wine thats a little better than your typical budget grocery store wine ( barefoot etc). Looking forward to learning from all of you!
headaches are caused by amines such as histamines from oak or amines generated by malolactic bacteria.

Latest posts

Back