Wine Tasting Work Event - #2 homemade vs commercial

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by NorCal, Nov 17, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2019 #1

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

@4score and I are going to a conference in Vegas once again in Feb. Last year we hosted a wine tasting competition with our customers and prospects and it was a hit.

@sour_grapes suggested in that post we “throw in a commercial wine” and we are thinking of doing just that; having a homemade vs. commercial contest. Completely blind 8 or so homemade, 8 commercial. Probably do 4 groups of 4 different varietals. 1 of mine, 1 of 4Score’s and two commercial. The commercial will be of good quality, so we need to figure out what that means, maybe a min of 85 points on the top rating agencies.

Thinking Cab Franc, Cab Sauv, Viognier or Chenin Blanc, Rhone blend, but need 4Score’s thoughts as well. They would all be in the same bottle type / cork and numbered, so even 4Score and I will not know which is which.

The contestants will have a sheet and they would guess which is homemade, which is commercial and mark which is their favorite. Besides getting some interesting data, whoever gets the most votes for favorite wine gets the master bedroom for the conference. The tie breaker will be who got the most votes that their wine was commercial.

Any ideas on how to stage the event? Rules?

From last year:
    DB6F2A2B-F634-41F1-AE10-C4D0F4754E5D.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Jal5, 4score, stickman and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nov 17, 2019 #2

1d10t

1d10t

1d10t

stewbum

With beer I have 4, maybe 5, people that have demonstrated they have the palate necessary for discriminating flavors. As an example. One of these people was able to pick out blueberry as an ingredient used in one beer and I couldn't even do it AFTER I'd been told. This doesn't mean we like the same things. It means if they give a critique of one of my beers I know what they say is valid and I can use that as a data point. I can trust them to point out flaws, suggest improvements, etc... The 'point' of this is just to make sure you value the opinion of those marking the sheets.

3. Nov 17, 2019 #3

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Interesting, but not exactly on your topic. You tried to quote me @sour_grapes , but you wrote @sourgrapes . Now, I did not know there was such a user. He started about a year before me, and has never posted, but his most recent activity is kinda recent. If you eventually read this, Hi there, my namesake! (Actually, I guess I am the namesake, as you were the original.)

Kinda funny that NorCal revealed this, because he originally picked a name based on this theme, too.

Back on topic: I like your idea. How are you planning to repackage all the wines into a common bottle/cork? I have tried (with moderate success) to perform double-blind tastings as follows. One person puts blank paper bags over the wine bottles, then leaves the room. Another person (usually a guest, so they don't know the full extent of the wines), puts labels on each of the wines (A, B, C, D, etc.). To the extent feasible, the pouring is done out of view of the others by the least knowledgable person. All the recipient of each glass knows is the letter of the wine.

4score likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2019 #4

4score

4score

4score

I agree on the varietals. Not sure if the Chenin will be bottled by then....if not, Viognier will work. I should have my 2018 CF bottled by then. It promises to be a beast!

What about 4 from each of us representing those varieties and one commercial (4 total)? You pick up two and I'll pick up the other two. Then we have a case and the logistics will be easier.