Wine tasting work event?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@4score and I collaborate on wine making, mostly at harvest. We also work together. We have an out of town conference coming up in Vegas and are considering doing a private wine making event in our two bedroom suite after the conference.

We already have dinner plans with 3 customers and they are wine drinkers. We know them well enough that they know we are wine makers. Here is what we are thinking of doing. Pick 6 different wines we have made from the same grapes. A case of wine is under 50 pounds and flies free on Southwest.

Do blind tasting (bottles in bags) where they choose A or B. They will also come to an agreement on the best of show. We will then unwrap them tally up their choices and see where the chips fall. Afterwards we’ll go out to dinner.

Thoughts?

Sounds fun. I fly every summer to Alaska and take roughly a case of wine. The best way to assure no breakage is to put the wine case in a cooler. The cooler will weigh about 12 pounds, leaving 38 for wine and waders. I can usually take 10 bottles like that. In 15 years of doing that I've had 1 bottle break. Not bad.

It might be better to get wine shipping mailer boxes for 6 bottles and each of you take 1 as luggage. I have seen a great 12 bottle mailer box (was sent to me), but I'm not sure where to get one. But I do think you'd be risking it, to just pack up a case and fly it with you.

Your customers will appreciate that you went to the trouble to work out the logistics. The wine will be bonus.

Looking around on the web, lots of wine shipping boxes out there. I'd get one for sure. The styrofoam ones look really secure.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplie...-Shipping-Kit-Twelve-Bottles/?mid=169&id=3569

What could possibly go wrong?

0*01lhxJspkpwGr06k

How about throwing a ringer in there? A commercial wine of the same grape variety (just to keep you honest!).
Ah, I like it. We don’t have any Cab Franc or Barbera that we are willing to put toward the cause, so I think our list is:
Chardonnay ‘17
Rhône blend ‘16
Mourvèdre ‘15
Tempranillo ‘17
Zinfandel ‘15
Syrah ‘16

Last edited:
@NorCal walking into the airport with that case, "sir you'll need to go into that room right over there for a cavity search" .........

I didn't catch the suite number? :)
Suite C, room 4.

Fun event. There were 7 participants. One opted out because he couldn’t tell the difference. Tied on the Chardonnay, and I won 3 out of the next 5, winning the master suite for two nights. Voted best of show was my Syrah, which I have drank very few, because I don’t like it. To me they tasted more alike than dissimilar and all agreed that there wasn’t a bad wine in the tasting.

The whole bag thing didn’t work out as elegant as I had hoped, but it got the job done.

378FD4ED-9437-4DD0-9D0C-489E7C478110.jpeg 04BF0D05-6D0D-45CE-AD2C-7906B34E631E.jpeg A9DF9A86-E0FA-4FDB-95F0-A672CC562A66.jpeg

Back