Advice for a new Winemaker using 3 juice kits - Noirette, Marquette, and Cayuga White

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are determined to use them for the event you should taste and adjust as best you can. For back sweetening prepare a simple syrup and set up a bench trial… for example, draw several 100ml samples and add 1/4t to the first, 1/2t to the next etc. to see what tastes best. I would also try a blend of the reds. You could also try adding finishing tannins and/or glycerin for mouthfeel.

If you do back sweeten you need to add sorbate or you will probably kick off fermentation again.

If you are going to serve from the bottle then get them in the bottle quickly. The alternative is to keep it in bulk and draw off as much as you need prior to the event.

And don’t forget k-meta and keeping things topped up until using it or bottling.
If I back sweeten a gallon jug of each red how much Potasdium Sorbate do I add to each? Will it be safe to drink 48 hours later?

If I back sweeten a gallon jug of each red how much Potasdium Sorbate do I add to each? Will it be safe to drink 48 hours later?
If you are going to consume it all within a day or two just refrigerate at and you should be good. I’m not sure about the treatment rate but it’s printed on most packages as so may grams or tsp per gallon. I don’t believe there would be any problem consuming it immediately.

If you are going to consume it all within a day or two just refrigerate at and you should be good. I’m not sure about the treatment rate but it’s printed on most packages as so may grams or tsp per gallon. I don’t believe there would be any problem consuming it immediately.
That was my thought was to refrigerate it.

So we tasted most of the wines this afternoon. The Noiret (which had oak chips added in different amounts to different batches) was actually drinkable. The Marquette was acidic and we added 2 tsp of simple syrup to a 1-gallon bottle. It helped but I found it an interference in what this wine can become on its own with time.

And P.S., Thank you ALL! You are generous & KIND.

Good luck with the event. Let us know how it turns out.

And let’s have some details on the vineyard? How many vines? When did you plant? And how is the organic management going? I’d like to do organic myself… at least as near as possible.

And let’s have some details on the vineyard? How many vines? When did you plant? And how is the organic management going? I’d like to do organic myself… at least as near as possible.
I only have 60+ vines right now, planted in 2019 and 2020. I planted a small vineyard of dessert & dual-purpose grapes (i.e. dessert or wine.) Things like Canadice, Golden Muscat, Summer Muscat Seedless, Summer Royal Seedless, Crimson Seedless, Red Flame Seedless, etc

Then I planted a larger tiny vineyard with wine grapes such as Cabernet Franc, Chancellor, Chelois, Marquette, Noiret, Cayuga White, Concord, Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebiolo, Corot Noir, and a few others. I've been cutting off all the fruit until this year and I will allow ripening of the grapes and we will try fermenting on the skins. Those are my plans.

As you may have suspected the Vitis vinifera vines struggled the first couple of years here but are now taking hold. My most vigorous are Cayuga White, Noiret &Marquette, which is why I chose those juice kits.

Theoretically, each vine can produce 10 bottles of wine and so if I were to keep 10 vines for dessert grapes and use the other 50+ for wine I could produce @ 500 bottles of wine per year. I am managing completely organically and am certified by both our state agency and The REAL Organic for all my fruit - stone, pomme, and others.

I'm sure at some point I'll run into more issues. Each year brings something new.
Thank you all for your patience with this newbie.

A quick question about wine tastings - do you have any advice?

A quick question about wine tastings - do you have any advice?
I wouldn’t say I have an educated palate and I’ve only been on the tasting end of the party.

I do like it when the server is knowledgeable about the grapes and wine making process. And where you are not, just be honest. And do let people know this wine is still very young and has not reached its potential… whatever that might be.

Since you are just starting out, make sure to ask what people like. I have heard that people in the business say customers like to talk about big dry complex wines but tend to buy sweet blends.

I wouldn’t say I have an educated palate and I’ve only been on the tasting end of the party.

I do like it when the server is knowledgeable about the grapes and wine making process. And where you are not, just be honest. And do let people know this wine is still very young and has not reached its potential… whatever that might be.

Since you are just starting out, make sure to ask what people like. I have heard that people in the business say customers like to talk about big dry complex wines but tend to buy sweet blends.
Thank you, that's helpful advice! Maybe I can also add something about growing the grapes here. I suppose folks always think that's interesting.

@winemaker81 has links to wine making manuals underneath his signature. Well worth checking out
The link for the MoreWine! Manuals is in my sig. The red and white manuals are overwhelming. Don't try to read them intently. Skim them a few times and understand the flow.

Latest posts

Back