WineXpert Tweaking Coastal Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nafarmboy

Reaction score
I bought 2 Coastal Red Kits on a 2 for 1 sale after thanksgiving. I bottled the first one last week. It taste pretty good but as expected from a 10 liter kit, it is kinda light or thin. It is a 6 gallon kit, I was thinking about cutting back on the other one and making it in a 5 gallon carboy. I wondered if anyone has every cut back on the size of a kit like that?
Tom

Tom, many people have discussed this on the forum from time to time. By cutting back you are saying that you would not add as much water as is called for in the instructions and instead of filling to 23 liters (6 gallons) you would fill to about 19 liters. There are some that feel that the kits are "balanced" and doing so could throw off the acid levels, pH levels, etc. Personally, I don't see that much of an issue. I would only be concerned with the initial SG. By cutting back on the water, you will naturally start with a higher SG and you need to check that to determing the potential ABV. You will also need to ensure that you have a yeast that will handle the higher SG, i.e. the higher potential ABV.

Thanks for the advice Rocky..........been reading more info on the topic and seems no one thinks this is a good idea. Maybe I can suffer through a couple kits :) . I bought some decent Cabernet Sauvignon at the wine shop, it really helps the coastal red to add about 2/3 glass of the cab to the coastal red. Really the coastal red isnt that bad, just kinda light. I ordered a Eclipse Lodi Ranch cab and a Selection Orginal cab from Doug at Brew and Wine Supply here on the forum the other day......cant wait to get the Lodi Ranch started.
Tom

If you want full body on these kits try and add oak?

If you want full body on these kits try and add oak?
Probably some oak in that kit already. I would suggest grape skins (if you can find any) or raisins.

Steve

There is no oak in that kit. I added American dark toast chips to one, and raisins during primary and a light toast spiral to another. I'm going to let them bulk age for another month or so, but so far, so good. And I only added water up to 5 gallons. I havent had any problems, and they fermented out dry to .997 or so (I don't remember offhand). Samples taste like young wine, but they have potential.

Last edited:
Cpfan, I am on my 4th Coastal Red and sorry to say they have no oak in them, at least none you can taste, I added 4ounces for 2weeks and it is as good if not better than some of the higher end kits. I have made the Lodi Ranch which is three times the cost and it is as good as that! This kit is a mix of three reds and is from French grapes

I also bought 2 Coastal Red Kits on a 2 for 1 sale after thanksgiving. I started one last week. Initially the sg(after adding water) was 1.080,T/A was 4.4, PH 3.26. I ended up adding 2# sugar to get sg around 1.095ish and 30gr acid blend. It is in secondary now sg .997. I plan on racking degassing and stabilizing soon. I am going to add oak to it when I age it.

I wonder if I added water to 5 gal what the sg would have been.

I have other plans for kit #2.

RR

You can try adding glycerin for some body as well. I add some to all my fruit wines. If you are going to try 5 gallons, you will also need to check acid levels and balance accordingly. My guess is that it will be too acidic and you will have to reduce it.

Back