Finer Wine Kit How much is too much?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuiQuog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting a batch of FWK Baby Super Tuscan Tavola with 2 skin packs this weekend. I bought a 10 gallon white Brute for fermenting to minimize the possibility of overflow, given the 2 skin packs. Here's the question. I also have a pack of dried skins that I believe came with an RJS kit. I bought a skin pack for the kit before I realized that it came with the dried one. Would it be inadvisable to add this to the FWK kit in addition to the 2 skin packs that I got with it? Is that too much, or do dried and semi dried work together? Or should I just save it for another batch? I'd like to hear your opinions or experience with dried skins.

Certainly not to much, considering, if you were starting from fresh grapes you would have much more than that. I would probably consider adding it. (You may not need this reminder, but just in case.) Don't forget to get the water to your 6 gallon mark before adding the skins you are going to use or you will come up very short.

Certainly you will want to let everything sit for at least the 24 hours before measuring for your initial SG. The skins will probably add a bit to that reading.

Both good points. Speaking of skins and water, when adding dehydrated skins, do I need to compensate for water loss due to re-hydration of the skins?

Latest posts

Back