Turbulence in vacuum filter system

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Here is the first photo of my whole house vacuum filter set-up - thanks to Wade for getting me connected with hardware and thanks to Wade, Mike, and others for some know-how!
The inflow to the filter went fine and the tubing was filled with wine. The outflow tube, however, did not fill up with wine so there was a lot of turbulence in the outflow tubing. The connectors seemed to be tight enough - I was afraid of stripping the threads since the housing and adapters were both plastic.

Have any of you using this system had trouble with outflow turbulence and, more importantly, any possible solutions?

Thanks!
Wayne

20110911_132554_2011-08-28_16-2.jpg

Wayne,

What are you using to seal on your receiving carboy? You need a good seal on the carboy adapter or no vacuum. I use something like the one on the far right in this pic:

VacuumAdapters.jpg

I actually replace one of the plastic fittings with a racking cane that goes through the silicon stopper. I get a good seal this way. The racking cane tube goes over to the outlet on the filter. The other fitting goes to the pump/overflow canister

I see no clamps on the hoses. If you get air through a small leak, it can cause the effect you speak of. Use waterpipe tipe clamps- I get some with a screw type handle on them- hard to describe.

My experience is that if you have turbulence, you have a leak.

For the treaded connectors in the filter I use teflon tape to get a good seal.

Personally I like the fuel injector hose clamps as they provide a more even pressure and dont eat up the hoses as do the screw type. They are a few more cents each.

I find that sometimes I get a pocket of air in the top of my housing. I just tip the housing in such a way that the air can get out through the outlet. Once it is gone and the housing is completely full there is no more turbulence.

Thanks everyone! I did not use clamps and actually could tell I was leaking somewhere as it was not pulling the wineas easily as it does without the filter - I will get some clamps and will look into fuel injector clamps. I also had an air pocket in the top of the filter so will monitor that next time. I may use the teflon tape as well - hopefully this will get me all fixed up!

Here is a close up of mine. I don't use clamps at all. Just good solid connection. I have since pulled the one plastic tube connector off and I run the racking cane straight through the silicon stopper. One less connection to worry about a leak!

20110912_112835_DSC02857.JPG

Latest posts

Back