Travisty's "Vineyard"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travisty

Reaction score
I thought I would post a new topic since my desire for a backyard vineyard is beginning to be fulfilled. Appleman has been gracious enough to send me some vines to try out here in Omaha, Nebraska. He sent me 6 one year vignoles and10 corot noir cuttings thislast Monday. Now, I have never gardened or anything of the sort before so this is quite the new adventure for me! So far, I've planted the vignoles vines and I've been watering the corot noir cuttings dailyto get them ready to plant soon. The spacing I'm using is 8' x 10' if I remember correctly. I'll get some pictures up soon. It's been pretty busy here the last week or so, but I did manage to get some pictures taken. I just need to upload them.

I already have one question. I planted the vignoles the day I got them, which happened to be right before what was supposed to be a rather rainy night. According to weather.com we only got 0.14 inches though. I had watered each vine pretty heavily when I planted them, but I didn't water the next day just assuming we had gotten some good rain the night before. Yesterday when I got home from work, the leaves on each vine are looking pretty sad. Some are just about all shriveled up and black. I'm assuming they're not getting enough water so I layed out a soaker hose and watered them quite a bit last night. This morning I have the water on again. Am I right in assuming that the vines were in need of water? I didn't kill them already did I?

Also, what do I need to be thinking about as far as fertilizer and sprays?

Travisty,

I am not an expert but if the ground was good and moist when you planted them they may just be going through transplant shock. When I recieved my dormant vines they had started to bud some vines had the buds turn brown and others didn't but they all grew just the same. give them some time and they may bud again. My soil is very fertile so I have not had to fertilize. I am just spraying with seven this year to keep all the insect critters at bay

BOB

Bob is right. The vines are better off not leaved out at all when transplanting bareroot vines. The leaves will wilt and some will die. Don't despair. They will replace those dead leaves and shoots with new ones. Grapes have three sets of buds- primary secondary and tertiary. The ones that had grown already were primary ones. The secondaries will grow if need be. It is hard to kill a grapevine- they just want to grow. Have patience...............

At this point don't be thinking about fertilizer and sprays. Wait until they get growing a bit, then we will discuss that.

Cool, I was sarting to panic.
smiley1.gif

How long should I expect before seeing new growth? Should I water a lot or a little?

You should just keep the soil moist, not soggy wet. A gallon of water around a vine will last it a few days unless you are in a desert. The vines might look a bit ragged before they start to regrow. Darned honeymoon getting in the way of your planting at the right time
smiley4.gif
. They will be growing before you know it!

Good news! Looks like every vine is pushing new buds. It's funny. I feel a bit like a new parent I think. No matter how much people tell me that things are fine, I just can't completely trust them until I see it for myself.
smiley36.gif

I planted the rooted cuttings a week after the vingoles and they seem to be doing fine as well. In fact, of the ten cutting appleman sent me only one didn't make it. I have the remaining three (I planted six) in pots now. We might plant them in a more decorative location just for kicks.
smiley17.gif

I do have another question though. Tonight I was inspecting the vines and a couple had what looked kind of like small flies sitting on the shoots. When I waved my hand at them to shoo them off they didn't move though. They seemed dead. I brushed them off and they just fell to the ground. I didn't think to get pictures but I will if I see them again. Any idea what these things might be?

Just a guess, but "dead flies?"
smiley4.gif

My motto is, if they ain't eating the vine, they must be fine!

I don't try to kill every living thing, so if something isn't botherin the vines a lot I leave it alone. Keep an eye out and if you see holes developing in the leaves, check for the cause. I caught Rose Chafers at work this evening on just the Marquette vines in the "Vine Yard". There were from 6-12 on every vine chewing and mating happily away- some seeming to be doing both at the same time!
smiley5.gif
I promptly fed them a nice little mix of Sevin and Water as opposed to Seven and Seven drinks.
smiley2.gif

May they rest in peace...............
smiley11.gif

Glad the vines are starting to grow. Out of the 1200 or so I planted this year, all are growing in spite of some cut worm action. The ones cut off are growing back just fine.

Awesome Travisty! Man Rich, that was cruel, isnt that called quiteus interuptous!

Hahaha you two are cracking me up!
smiley36.gif

I like your philosophy on the bugs appleman. I've just never seen dead flies sitting on and hanging from plants before. Of course, I've never really paid a whole lot of attention to plants before either so...

I have noticed a few holes in some leaves though I haven't actually seen any buggers chewing yet. I'll keep an eye out.

I walked outside this morning and checked out my vines and saw this:

0618090747.jpg

The shoot looks like it was broken off. I was moving the soaker hose around last night and I imagine that's how this happened. Needless to say, I'm a little disapointed. Not too much though since, as you can see, there is still another shoot developing. I suppose this just means that more energy will go into root development right!
smiley36.gif

Geeze you killed it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Be careful with the Hose! That won't help root development, it will need to replace the lost shoot first to make carbohydrates in the roots. Keep an eye on them, if it wasn't the hose it could have been a cutworm.

Now that you mention it. The hose is on the other side of the stake there. And I know I was really careful moving it too. I really doubt it could have been the hose that broke off that shoot. The break/cut looks very much like the one in this picture I just found:
M1225-3-lg.jpg

I'll be on a close watch for cutworms. Would you suggest I do anything more at this time?

Try to find the villain and kill it.Yes, I amseriousl. Take your pointing finger and dig lightly around the base of the vine in an outward pattern. They quite often may be found within inches of the plant just under the soil surface. When you find it squash it! Not a lot can be done to prevent it. With more tender plants you can wrap the stem or place milk cartons (wax paper half gallon) with the bottom and top cut off around them. You need to press them in the soil an inch or so to prevent the cutworms from just tunneling under. Good luck with them. They are usually worse in newly tilled areas.

Okay finally some pictures!

From my previous post here: http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6095&PN=1, this is the site I decided on.

20080731_194715_From_north.jpg

I did some tilling and what not and ended up with something like this:

DSC00991.jpg

That was actually a picture from this year after I had gotten lazy and let the tilled up site get like this:

DSC00981.jpg

Okay it was a combination of being lazy and being busy. I just got married in May, so we were busy with preparations for that. Rich was good enough to send me the vines after we got back from our destination wedding/honeymoon in Cape Town, South Africa! Shortly after getting home, this box showed up on my front porch:

DSC01000.jpg

I don't think they were very gentle and I'm fairly certain they didn't take the "up arrows" very seriously.
smiley36.gif
I don't think the vines were too shook up as all of the vingoles bare root vines survived and only one of the ten corot noir rooted cuttings died.

I got everything planted and it now looks like this:

DSC01090.jpg

You can't really even see the vinesin that picture, but I assure you they're there.
smiley20.gif
Here's one of the vingoles vines a few weeks ago:

DSC01093.jpg

The three remaining surviving corot noir cuttings I planted in pots out on our back deck:

DSC01084.jpg

As for the vine that the suspected cutworm got a hold of, it seems to be surviving yet though it hasn't grown anymore since then.

I never did find the culprit I don't think, but I did find some clear looking caterpillar-like things. I grabbed the chunk of dirt I found them in and snapped some pics before squishing them.

Here's the chunk of dirt:

DSC01081.jpg

And here's the best pic I got of the little guys:

DSC01083.jpg

Look familiar to anyone?

They are either nematodes or phylloxera. Both of them will be fairly common there. That isn't what cut that vine off. I don't think there is any need to worry over them.

That location will be quite susceptable to critters eating grapes- probably two legged ones! You may need to post a sign in the future warning of a guard dog on duty. You can get some motion activated recordings!

Look forward to updates.

appleman said:
That location will be quite susceptable to critters eating grapes- probably two legged ones! You may need to post a sign in the future warning of a guard dog on duty. You can get some motion activated recordings!

Look forward to updates.

Haha, you're not wrong. In this area of town there's a decent amount of foot traffic too.

You might see if you can get some Diatomaceous Earth at your garden center. I've used it to control grubs, cut worms, etc in the garden and it worked well. It's also used for pool filtration so sometimes you can find it cheaper in larger quantities at pool places.

Back