Topping Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuster1

Reaction score
I have been reading where more home wine makers are topping up the carboy with wine vs water as instructed by the kit manufactures. Topping up with wine sounds like a better finish. So here's my question, I'm making a Barolo and having a difficult time finding a inexpensive bottle of Barolo. Will any red table wine work.

Schuster1 said:
I have been reading where more home wine makers are topping up the carboy with wine vs water as instructed by the kit manufactures. Topping up with wine sounds like a better finish. So here's my question, I'm making a Barolo and having a difficult time finding a inexpensive bottle of Barolo. Will any red table wine work.

You could top up with Barbara, Cab Sauv, Merlot, or Syrah. These are all typically blended with Barolo and you really aren't adding much.

I'm thinking it will take two bottles to top it off Thanks for the advise.

I'm thinking it will take two bottles to top it off Thanks for the advise.

Another idea would be to rack down to a smaller carboy and a couple of 750ml. bottles. Then going forward you can use the bottles to top up the next racking. Bakervinyard

A merlot is a somewhat neutral profile red that can be used to top of any other red. Most any non-sweetened Italian red can be used to top off the Barolo.

Not in the real world. Barolo is made from the Nebbiolo grape.

I would use almost any Italian varietal even Sangiovese. Trader Joe's has an inexpensive Barolo ($15) if you have one near you.

You could top up with Barbara, Cab Sauv, Merlot, or Syrah. These are all typically blended with Barolo and you really aren't adding much.

Yes I will top off with a similar wine or transfer down , but I have never added water - due to that it will increase the PH and dilute it as well, just my opinion.

If you are saying about 1.5 L then I would recommend racking down to smaller vessels. For a smaller amount, I might have suggested using lead free marbles.

I am guessing you are using one of those 24.5L Italian (ribbed) carboys?

Back