I am back and have a question about paraffin oil

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruit

Reaction score
After some health problems (ankle surgery) I am back here and back to making wine at home.

I have lot of 30 liters fermentation tanks (with huge lid on top) but not enough carboys.
I prefer not to buy more and more carboys, not only due to expenses but also limited space.
So I am very interested to work that out how to use standard, 30 liters fermenter tanks instead of carboys (for secondary fermentation and aging/clarification).
Problem is oxidation. I heard about using paraffin oil on top of wine...
Where can I find some detailed explanation/instruction, maybe photo/video on how to do that ?

Also, I have plenty to learn and experiment how to re-start stuck fermentation, very sweet plum wine.
And instant question comes to my mind: anybody compared EC-1118 against KI-V1116 for the purpose of re-starting stuck, sweet wine ?
Which of them is better for this particular purpose ?

After some health problems (ankle surgery) I am back here and back to making wine at home.

I have lot of 30 liters fermentation tanks (with huge lid on top) but not enough carboys.
I prefer not to buy more and more carboys, not only due to expenses but also limited space.
So I am very interested to work that out how to use standard, 30 liters fermenter tanks instead of carboys (for secondary fermentation and aging/clarification).
Problem is oxidation. I heard about using paraffin oil on top of wine...
Where can I find some detailed explanation/instruction, maybe photo/video on how to do that ?

Also, I have plenty to learn and experiment how to re-start stuck fermentation, very sweet plum wine.
And instant question comes to my mind: anybody compared EC-1118 against KI-V1116 for the purpose of re-starting stuck, sweet wine ?
Which of them is better for this particular purpose ?
EC1118 from a starter e.g. apple juice

Some good news, to use an oil as a barrier just create a thin film on the wine, ex. 0.5 mm. Olive oil on a board floating in a crock is traditional Italian method for bottom valve family wine. If I was to modernize this I would cut a round out of polyethylene sheet. Mineral oil isn’t toxic but can give diarrhea in excess so try to not consume it.

The bad; there is oxygen diffusion in many materials. I haven’t hunted numbers for paraffin oil but expect it to be fairly high. I would not use this technique for long term storage. Likewise many plastics have oxygen diffusion. For a food package to get a good barrier we buy coextruded films where one polymer as polyethylene provides excellent melt/ sealing and a second layer as vacuum deposited silica provides oxygen resistance. I would try a two layer PE float as with PET as a top layer, and silicone glue the layers together.

The above sounds like a lot of work for short term storage. For aging might I suggest looking at bag in box “wine bags”. They have good barrier properties are available in large sizes and can be scrunched in a box to have no void space.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back