Mosti Mondiale Topping Off Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
On a MM Renaissance Impressions Amarone kit what have people used for topping off without spending $35 and up per bottle for commercial Amarone?

Wiz, again, I do not "top off." Rather I size down to smaller volumes of carboys, e.g. I start with a 6.5 gallon, go to a 6 then a 5 plus a half gallon, etc. I don't have the problem of what wine to add but in your case, if you plan to top off, I would get a "decent" (i.e. a $15-20 bottle) Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot and use that. The amount you have to add would not hurt the wine at all. Just my view. Others may think I am crazy (that is what the said about "Son of Sam") but that is what I would do.

Wiz, I am in the 'top it off' camp. For an Amarone, I would get a Valpolicella or Valpolicella Ripassa to top it off. Possibly a Bardolino. All would work pretty well since they all originate from the same grapes.

topping off

or how about sangiovese,brunello,and good Italian red will do.

Tomassi valpolicella ripassa. Plus the bottle is cool and the label comes off easy enough. I have enough bottles saved up to do an entire Valpolicella kit in Tomassi bottles.

I just bottled a Cru Select Valpo Ripassa. It is outstanding. Amarone's little brother. Highly recommended

I made the same kit a year ago and at the time the oversized grape pak they sent was labeled "California Merlot Grapes", so that's about what I used to top up, save your real amarone for another day.

Tonyt

TOMASSI,NOW that is excellent wine my friend,you know what a good repressso should be ,,one of the best AMARONES also:u

Definitely a Valpolicella Ripassa. While probably other Italian reds would work just fine, at least you know you'd be adding something that was made from the same varietal. Plus, they are pretty affordable.

To be honest, if there is only a small amount needed to top this off, a few ounces, in an emergency, you can use a Merlot, it wont add any negative flavors, and will not "dilute" the Amarone.
I have bought a few box wines to top of wines such as Merlot, Pinot Noir, Lambrusco and so on, these days, they even have box wine of varieties such as Montepulciano, Valpolicella and so on. They are not great by any means, but to top off small amounts, it is far better than using water.
Obviously, if you have the exact wine or a similar varietal, that would be the first choice.

I like to stay with the same varietal. Amerone is made from the same grapes as Valpocellia except these are picked then dried a bit in the sun to a partial risining happens then the grapes are made into wine. So Valpoicellia or a Valpolicellia Ripassia is where I would go to top up.

Allegrini Palazzo Della Torre is made in the Amarone style and retails for around $15.

I am new at this so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I put my gross lees in a quart jar and refrigerate it. After a few days I separate the wine from the lees with a turkey baster and use that wine to top up.

I am new at this so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I put my gross lees in a quart jar and refrigerate it. After a few days I separate the wine from the lees with a turkey baster and use that wine to top up.
I commend your efforts but are you truly topped up to where you should be? There is nothing wrong with using the wine in the way you describe. Here is a description of a properly topped off wine.When topped off correctly you will be right at the bottom of the neck of the carboy in the steepest portion of the shape of the carboy. This is to minimize contact with air.

rjb222, I think I am, I usually get 500-700ml. If it doesn't come up to the neck I will add wine, usually what I have made in the past. I'm going to drink it anyway. The best wine saving device I have is a carboy wedge;)

Latest posts

Back