Mosti Mondiale top off recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar309

Reaction score
any recommendations for what wine to use to top off my castel del papa? does it mater? as long as its a red?
smiley3.gif

I dought anything will change the profile much if any at all unless you need like 3 bottles to top up.

Like Wade says' I just use any type of dry red I have for a red wine. No more than you add it won't affect the profile. I made a Vintners Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon about 3 years ago that was just too thin for me to enjoy. It made a great top off wine though. I have 2 bottles left.

You could use a Grenache, Syrah/Shiraz or Mourvedre, which are the primary grapes in a Chateauneuf du Pape (or Castel del Papa) or a blend of the same.

As dfw says, Castel del Papa is a Chateauneuf du Pape, a name copyrighted by the French. The kit makers can't use it, but they can duplicate the grape blend used to make it.

I agree with dfwwino, those choices of wine would be acceptable. If it were me, and I needed to top off with more than one bottle, I would get a bottle of shiraz and a grenache.
smiley4.gif

Back