Too Much Body?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stolen

Reaction score
So ive made wine from grapes as a kid on a huge scale, and ive made wine from buckets of juice in the last few years, so decided to make a cab from grapes on a small scale (2x36lb lugs) this year. I punched the cap ~4 times a day, and just did my first rack about 5 weeks after primary fermentation. As always during racking, I take a small tasting just to make sure its going in the right direction. Ive never tasted something this flavor-strong before. It almost had too much body, almost a little tart. Is it turning to vinegar? Will it mellow out? Did I punch the cap too much?

I had a Malbec that had a similar result, made from fresh grapes. It was so inky black it stained the inside of the carboys and bottles. I t had a lot of body, too much for other folks drinking it.
To answer your question, no, it won't mellow out (in turns of body); no, it's not turning to vinegar; and no, you can't punch the cap down too much. Did you end up with a very high alcohol level?

I've found lately that if I don't eat as much I start loosing some of my massive body...

Seriously, it is (I'm assuming) a Cabernet Sauvingon which is supposed to have a full body, at least the good ones seem to. Instead of watering it down maybe you can make a batch from a bucket this spring from a merlot or cab franc, etc and blend the two to lighten the body. I imagine you would age it for a few years before you dug into it anyway, Chilean 2016 juice will be here before you know it!

patience the wine has a long way to go. it will be better as it ages. the suggestion to blend with merlot is good idea. but I would wait at least 6-9 months before even thinking about it.

Thanks for the responses. Potential alcohol seemed just about right, about 14%. Good to know about punching the cap. I know its super young and i wont be drinking it for another year or so, but just wanted to make sure it wasnt going in the wrong direction. Good ideas about making a blend. Didnt want to have to, but I may have to do that. Any other ideas/feedback appreciated.

Further research suggests too many tannins were extracted, and that egg whites can help remove them. Anyone have any experience with that?

The tannins become softer over time. I would wait another 6 months before you start really trying to "fix" your wine. My 6 month old Cabernet from WGD.com has such gripping tannins it is hard to enjoy. But the 1 year old is much softer. Give it time.

I'd give it time.

If its under a year old, on a Cab, I'd assume you're 'jumping the gun'. (They take about 2 yrs, to come around completely)
Those compounds need time to react with others.
Some will settle out, others will smooth out, and the fraction that doenst will keep the wine from being boring.

Back