Mosti Mondiale Too late for oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
So our Chile Fresco Carmenere fresh juice is all nice and clearing and bulk aging. Did a final rack this last weekend.

Today we find this bag on top of a piece of furniture. Inside are the long-lost labels (oops, sorry George!) and a bag of corks and two bags of oak chips.

Oops!

So should I do anything or just use the chips on some other kit?

I would not add the chips at this stage in the wine or you will have t clear and rack off them all over again. If you want to oak still I would use spirals or cubes.

Wade - even with cubes, won't Trashy still have to rack off just like with the chips?

Trashy - have you tasted the wine to determine if it may need more oak?

- Jim

Jim, yes he will but it much easier and you wont have to worry about clogging anything or transferring any oak dust over.

Wade,

I've personally noticed just as much dust in the cubes as the chips. Since the cubes normally have a longer exposure time, I'm guessing most of that is sitting on the bottom upon racking. Do you use the beans/cubes a lot?

- Jim

If it is clearing up and just bulk aging I have to agree with Wade. I would pick up some of the spirals. They are great in any situation but really nice in situations like this. You can continue to bulk age the wine.It won't really need to be racked again. You will limit the exposure to oxygen. You can easily sample the wine as it bulk ages and yank them out at a moments notice and continue to bulk age if you want. They are a very nice and convenient product. I highly recommend them. If you want to just add the chips they would work fine to but I feel the cubes and spirals give a better oak flavor. I would definitely add some oak though. It can set longer to oak and age. Heck, I still have the kits I started right after I met y'all in the carboy.

truth is, I'm not a big fan of oak flavor in kit wines. I'll probably just hold off for now.

Jim I have used the cubes once and didnt get the dust as you say but if you have more experience with them then Ill take your word for it. Like I said I didnt get any dust in mine and mine was just bulk aging with no stirring at all and I did have dust in the bag from handling and left that out and hand picked the cubes out of the bag instead of just dumping but like I said Ive only used them once.

Smurf, you still have wine in carboy from 2005 or do you mean WS2007?

wade said:
Smurf, you still have wine in carboy from 2005 or do you mean WS2007?

It is from the last Winestock. I bottled the wines made after the first Winestock about6 months or so ago. They are still all in cases though. Haven't labeled any of them yet and haven't tried any of them yet.

Ha! Smurfe you are a lot like me. I still have a few wines in the carboy from 2006 and 2007.

wade said:
Jim I have used the cubes once and didnt get the dust as you say but if you have more experience with them then Ill take your word for it. Like I said I didnt get any dust in mine and mine was just bulk aging with no stirring at all and I did have dust in the bag from handling and left that out and hand picked the cubes out of the bag instead of just dumping but like I said Ive only used them once.

I normally just dump them in - it just seemed like as much dust as with the chips and I was curious if it's just the bags I've used or if it was a consistent feature of cut wood. I didn't, however, notice any effect in the final product, which is good to know. :)

- Jim

Latest posts

Back