To Filter Or Not To Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcalli1

Reaction score
I've filtered white wines in the past using Buon Vino mini-jet and been happy. I've also not filtered white wines and been happy. But I've got friends who never filter and claim that it removes flavor from the wine.

I've got two carboys of Norton (this is my first red wine) that have been aging for 4 months and I expect to leave them in carboy for another 2 before bottling. So before I bottle, what's the consensus on the forum? Filter or no?

Yes, filter. I don't buy the argument that a 1 micron filter removes flavors. The flavors are molecules that are way too small to be trapped by a filter.

You have 2 carboys right, filter 1, dont filter the other, put them in blind tests with yourself and friends and find out which you like better. Once I got a filter I filter them all, right some red stuff sticks to the pads, of course the junk in a red wine is RED :) Let us know how the test goes in a couple of months. WVMJ

I think alot of those people who mention that filtering pulls out the flavor and or color = just do not have the filtering equipment or time to do so.

This is only my personal view on this as I have not lost any taste due to filtering

I have a buon vino minijet too. I used to filter all my wines but stopped doing reds because they were clearing enough to not go to the trouble of that step. They're deep enough in color to hide what whites will reveal. I have used the #3 filter on my whites to give tem a nice polsh, but I admit that my whites clear so well with vacuum racking that it almost seems unneccesary to take the step. Other than that, I don't think filtering does any harm. A couple of things I have learned: Don't bother with the # 1 and 2. Wait until the wine looks good enough to bottle before you filter, and the #3 will do the job all by itself.

I agree with all of the above posters. I filter after my wines are clear and sediment free. Everything (red and white) goes through a .45 micron filter. The first two bottles get poured back into the carboy so all bottles are consistant in color and meta solution.
Your first bottle or two might have a little bit more concentration due to sanitizing before starting.

Latest posts

Back